More Help Please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2009
My DD Chelsea just turned 13 and she has been working on getting off of her toes on her stride foot. She was landing on her toes and using them as a cushion not using good resistance. She is getting better but now I am noticing that she is pushing off to the side. I try to get her to focus on the power line but she still gets about 3 to 5 inches off to the left. If you look at the video she starts straight but then either her stride leg pulls her to the left or she is pushing herself to the left with her push off (right foot). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are pitching again tonight.

YouTube - Chelsea Footwork.wmv

Jan 27, 2010
I would really work on extending her stride and this should open her hips and shoulder. Her stride seems to be left of center because she doesn't always open up. Have her reach out with her plant foot towards her target more.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Her stride foot seems to be following her glove out on the initial drive. That could be one cue to use. When my dd gets tired, she does that same thing since it makes for an easier leap.

Feb 6, 2009
I think you need to get some tuct tape on the mat at 45 degrees across the power line and start having her do some drills without pitching to focus on two things.

Land at 45 degrees with toe on line. You mentioned she was landing on her toe. She should, just like in hitting. Then the heel should be pushed down, and she'll have some resistance and a firm leg to push against so she stops walking out of her motion.

May 11, 2009
mrslug

She was way up high on her toe and staying up on her toe never letting her heel come down before and she still does it from time to time. That was not letting her have any resistance at all. I will do the tape deal for sure. By walk out of her motion are you saying she should not continue forward at all and should propel herself back more at plant? I agree she still continues sideways and forward to much, I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying.
Thanks
Mike

Nov 6, 2008
"You mentioned she was landing on her toe. She should, just like in hitting. Then the heel should be pushed down"

Mrslug,

The stride foot lands flat, not on the toe. Momentum will bring the weight towards the ball of the foot. The front side cannot stabilize when the stride foot is up on the toe. If she lands on the toe, forward momentum will not allow her to place the heel down.

May 11, 2009
OK as I keep looking at her I have a question. Does it look like she is not opening because she is staying left with her stride foot or is she really not opening. I think she is opening all the way but the is just so far left with her stride leg it does not look like she is opening all the way. I hope that makes sense. Her stride is about 5' and she is pretty consistant on that. I will see if I can get more out of her there. Maybe I am way off here but I think if she is not pushing off straight she is losing speed on her pitches.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
IMO , your DD needs to work on opening completely up. I think if she exagerates the opening up during her delivery, it will probably change her back on powerline.

May 11, 2009
Ok stupid question....what is the easiest way to get her to open up more and stay open longer?

Jan 20, 2010
Have her start her motion. When she swings her her arms forward have her stop so that she looks like superman getting ready to fly, both arms out front. Now have her pivot completly open and hold . Glove hand pointed at catcher. Ball over head or 11 oclock. Her front foot should be in the air. So basicly she is standing sideways , on one foot. Have her make her circle and throw you the ball, with out putting foot down. Progress that into pivot open hold, then stretch out front foot and throw, pivot closed. Slowly speed this up making sure she is opening and closing. I like landing on the toe. If you land flat footed you tend to fall out to the pitching arm side when you close. This causes low in side pitches and high out side pitches. Landing on toe helps you pivot. Landing flat footed would work if you were not closing after pitch but in vid your dd is, so landing on toe is prefered in my opinon. Man i need spell check!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478