more drama from Florida v Auburn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
fagen_vs_walton3_zpsqauskgxq.gif

Walton physically assaulted this player, male or female. If Walton would have pushed me like that I would have considered that as him hitting me. I then would have to hit him back but, not in his shoulder. Not my fault he has bad aim.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
Make both of them run foul poles and call it a day...........TW will play innocent all day long. He should of ignored her like she did him.....until he pushed her.....

Feb 12, 2014
If I was a coach coming through a receiving line after a game and there was a player in a cast, or with no right arm, I would not think twice about tapping her on the shoulder and saying "good game"...would that be considered "putting my hands" on a female player?

I guess a ton of this is based on perspective. Do you really see Walton here tapping her on the shoulder as a way of congratulating her on the Auburn win?

I wouldn't have any problem at all with the action you describe, but I don't see this as anything close to that. This was physically making a point with a player from another team. Isn't that unacceptable?

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Sorry, but things have gotten a bit off topic.

Regarding boycotting the White House--

I wish people would show some class. The President is not only a political leader, but also the Head of State. This isn't the UK, where the head of state and head of government are different people.

Consider the acts of Linus Pauling when he was invited to a White House dinner, along with other Nobel laureates.
Pauling had been truly persecuted by previous presidents, such as Truman and Eisenhower. Pauling won the Nobel Peace Prize, his second Nobel Prize, in 1962. He is still the only person to win two un-shared Nobel Prizes -- Chemistry and Peace.
Pauling was truly upset that President Kennedy was building up the US nuclear arsenal, which Pauling believed was a path to the destruction of the entire human race. This is not a trivial disagreement.
The day before Pauling visited the White House, he led a well-publicized protest of JFK's policies. Then, he went to his White House dinner as scheduled.
In fact, JFK spoke to Pauling about the protest, and was extremely gracious and supportive of Pauling's First Amendment rights, unlike Eisenhower and especially Truman.

You may love or hate whomever is currently holding the office of the President of the United States at any given time. Love him or hate him, he is still the Head of State. As was his predecessor, and as his successor will be.

Pauling protested Kennedy the politician, but showed utmost respect for Kennedy the Head of State.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Well, I'm not on the same side of the political fence as probably most of y'all but I don't get a rape culture vibe from this at all. I get a petulant, childish vibe personally.

There is a saying in the legal world that a Grand Jury would indict a ham sandwich. The corollary to this is that some folks can find racism, sexism, misogyny, etc. in any statement. All you have to do is go looking for it. In today's world you can make any action or statement fit whatever narrative you are trying to advance. As a previous poster pointed out if this was baseball this would be a non-issue.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
There is a saying in the legal world that a Grand Jury would indict a ham sandwich. The corollary to this is that some folks can find racism, sexism, misogyny, etc. in any statement. All you have to do is go looking for it. In today's world you can make any action or statement fit whatever narrative you are trying to advance. As a previous poster pointed out if this was baseball this would be a non-issue.

In baseball a few more shoves and even a punch or two and it's still a non-issue.

Also, notice that Riseball doesn't say anything that can be used against his DD if she pitches against either of these teams. Riseball's way too wise to fall into that trap.

Oh, and congrats to the men's BB team for making the Final Four.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Not going to go into the whole political or rape culture type of thing that some are bring up. I don't get that comparison to this incident at all.

That being said, I watched the video over and over and over before reading any of the comments here so I would form my own opinion without any bias. I don't know the previous history of her family and this coach, and to me it doesn't matter. He was 100 percent in the wrong. He clearly saw that she put her hand down and did not high five the coach in front of him, and he purposely moved his hand to her shoulder and shoved. You don't shove when you high five someone. You graze hands and move on. I have been through numerous high five lines, and there is no shoving motion. This was clearly intentional, and he did it because of slight he felt by her. And I don't find any "sportsmanship" issues with her. She clearly high fived all of the other players, and put her hand down when she got to the coaches. That is her choice to make, and if anyone has an issue with it, it should be her OWN coach that should have talked to her about it later. Not TW. He acted like a dick, clear and simple.

And a few posters made the point that if it was baseball it wouldn't be an issue. Possibly. TW possibly would have been punched in the mouth if it was baseball. With men, you never know if you shove someone in the shoulder, some may shove you back like she did here, but some would go straight to throwing down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish