more drama from Florida v Auburn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Recruiting question.... A player for a showcase team refuses to hi-5 the coach from the opposing showcase team after the game. A college coach is recruiting this player and notices that incident. Would it impact the recruiting process? Let's assume this is a good player but not an absolute stud. IMO, if the coach is trying to decide between two similar recruits, this action just cost that player the spot.

For the record, I do not condone the actions of either party. However, I have seen a lot worse. I remember a thread a year or two ago showing a video of a pitcher throwing a high fastball and the catcher purposely pulling her glove down, allowing the ball to hit the umpire. I consider that to be far worse than this little "whatever it was", but I am sure this will be talked about for weeks because it is Auburn and Florida... In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see videos of it straight through Oklahoma City.

Watch this and decide if you think it would matter.

May 17, 2012
The bottom line is that a man in a position of power (coach, umpire, etc.) cannot put his hands on a female player. End of story.

If you have a daughter I would hope that you understand that by now.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Assistant Coach:
no_h5_zpshfljlocg.gif

Head Coach:
fagen_vs_walton3_zpsqauskgxq.gif

TW should've reacted like his assistant coaches. Looks to me that he's made an rear out of himself for all to see. The other 2 coaches let her go by without even moving their hands. He should've done the same.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Ooohhh, risky question but an interesting one. If my DD were on a team that turned down a visit to the *current* white house, I would be 100% supportive of that. However, I'd not have felt the same way with any other administration (on either side of the political fence).

Regardless of who is in the WH a bunch of adults using little kids as pawns for a political statement is wrong on so many levels. People like that should not be allowed anywhere near youth sports.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The bottom line is that a man in a position of power (coach, umpire, etc.) cannot put his hands on a female player. End of story.

If you have a daughter I would hope that you understand that by now.

If I was a coach coming through a receiving line after a game and there was a player in a cast, or with no right arm, I would not think twice about tapping her on the shoulder and saying "good game"...would that be considered "putting my hands" on a female player?

Feb 5, 2013
Sorry, Walton was the only princess on the field. If that was my dd, he would of been picking his teeth up off home plate.

Don't always agree with nanotech, but I do here.

She protested in her own way and he felt it was appropriate to not only "discipline" an opposing player but to do it physically.

The only positive thing to come from this is now I hate Walton and Florida even more than I did before.

Jun 12, 2015
Regardless of who is in the WH a bunch of adults using little kids as pawns for a political statement is wrong on so many levels. People like that should not be allowed anywhere near youth sports.

Very true. I didn't intend to be offensive, someone said back a bit that it was. Not my intent, and I was going to go back and edit but it was already quoted so no point.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
To be honest, I'm offended by the political nature of some of the posts here. I'd like to give my opinions about "past administrations."

I believe both are in the wrong. Both should be held accountable. I do wonder now about ever shaking hands, high five ... if someone can turn this into sexual assault then my high five days are over.

Done! Sit back a get yer popcorn this is going to go way off the rails!

According to the lunatic fringe it would appear that Waltons unwanted touching of Fagan is yet another example of the "rape culture" that is so common in society today.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Don't always agree with nanotech, but I do here.

She protested in her own way and he felt it was appropriate to not only "discipline" an opposing player but to do it physically.

The only positive thing to come from this is now I hate Walton and Florida even more than I did before.

To be clear, I do not condone what TW did. An adult simply shouldn't act that way. I guess I just have trouble understanding the entire "protest" mentality. But that's on me I suppose. That's how today's culture is. My DD has played for numerous coaches over the years between three sports, and only had one coach she had an issue with. Playing against him in a tournament, she used it as motivation and pitched a 1 hitter against his team. After the game, she was the first one in line to hi-5 him and had a monstrous smile on her face when she did. Different mentality, I suppose.

Jun 12, 2015
Well, I'm not on the same side of the political fence as probably most of y'all but I don't get a rape culture vibe from this at all. I get a petulant, childish vibe personally.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06