more drama from Florida v Auburn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Recruiting question.... A player for a showcase team refuses to hi-5 the coach from the opposing showcase team after the game. A college coach is recruiting this player and notices that incident. Would it impact the recruiting process? Let's assume this is a good player but not an absolute stud. IMO, if the coach is trying to decide between two similar recruits, this action just cost that player the spot.

For the record, I do not condone the actions of either party. However, I have seen a lot worse. I remember a thread a year or two ago showing a video of a pitcher throwing a high fastball and the catcher purposely pulling her glove down, allowing the ball to hit the umpire. I consider that to be far worse than this little "whatever it was", but I am sure this will be talked about for weeks because it is Auburn and Florida... In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see videos of it straight through Oklahoma City.

Nov 4, 2015
Really would like to know if she shook any of the coaches' hands the other 2 games. If she didn't, and TW did this, he is totally in the wrong and was instigating the situation. We are in a country of protesters. Kneeling, rioting, burning flags. College kids and others being applauded for protesting all the time. This girl probably believes her family was wronged by the Florida staff. Whether this is reality or perceived, I don't know. But wouldn't the lack of a "hi-5" be a rather minor protest or statement that she should have the right to make? In the end, not great sportsmanship by either, but as i said, if she didn't shake the coaches hands the other 2 games, this situation is all on TW. If she did, then they are both in the wrong. Or i could just be an idiot softball dad that may change his opinion on this several times as i find out more!:confused:

Feb 12, 2014
Saw video on Facebook that shows she lowered her hand in the previous game. That is pretty damning for Walton in my opinion. Pretty much proves it was intentional.

Jan 25, 2011
Sorry, Walton was the only princess on the field. If that was my dd, he would of been picking his teeth up off home plate.

Jun 18, 2010
Assistant Coach:
no_h5_zpshfljlocg.gif

Head Coach:
fagen_vs_walton3_zpsqauskgxq.gif

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I try to see this sort of thing with my boy glasses. That is, if a boy did this instead of a girl what would we say. And I think we would see a boy acting up by not hi 5ing and then we would see a coach acting like a jackass pushing him. Then we would excuse the boy for pushing him back. Because he was standing up for himself. And then 5 minutes later no one would care.

To me in the grand scheme of things it means very little. But within that very little I think the coach needs to harden up and ignore the slight and move on. It was his actions that exasperated the situation. I'm sure it's not the first time he was t high fived.

Jun 12, 2015
The whole snowflake thing is so tired. I hate buzzwords. I know what was meant by it though and I don't disagree. I do think she was at fault just not as much as he was. How about everybody act like a grown up? It's not that difficult. Or maybe it is, if some of the 10U coaches & parents I've run up against are indication.

Nov 16, 2015
IMO this is all on Walton. I wouldnt call it a blatant shove, but he initiated contact.

If Fagan's feel that he has wronged them in any way, why should they have to shake his hand? There have been multiple threads on this board basically accusing him of being a bully mostly geared at umpires. She acknowledged every player in that handshake line, so i wouldnt call it sportsmanship issue. Her issue was with him and choose not to hi five him. Its not a big deal.

He initiated contact that didnt need to happen. He was trying to prove a point. If she is my daughter and he does that to her, I dont have any problem with a 1 handed shove to his shoulder informing him to keep his hands to himself. She didnt punch him or some malicious shove, it was 1 hand to his shoulder telling him not to touch her.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Dude- I wasn't talking about you (or anyone else in this thread) I was Talking about HER!
I shouldn't have used the term "snowflake" due to the negative political baggage that goes with it.

She behaved like a princess.

Now you have offended the Royal Family!!! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06