Monsta Hype worth the hype?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Exactly. Good bats - even ones that aren't mainstream - get talked about. The Miken Freak Black from about 5 years ago was an example.

I don't quite understand. Was the Miken Freak good? Bad? Over-hyped?

I know it's in the softball parody moving All Stars and I hadn't ever heard of it before.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I don't quite understand. Was the Miken Freak good? Bad? Over-hyped?

I know it's in the softball parody moving All Stars and I hadn't ever heard of it before.

The Miken Freak Black was an excellent bat at a favorable price-point. Miken was a lesser-known name in the fastpitch world, but that model got some attention - in the DFP community, in particular - because of its performance. Unfortunately, the Miken brand got absorbed into Rawlings, and MFB faded out.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
The Miken brand didnt get absorbed into Rawlings. Back then, Miken gave the fp part of their business to Worth. As Jarden owned Miken and Worth.
So Miken stopped producing fastpitch bats so that Worth could do so. Then Rawlings bought Miken and Worth and took fastpitch from Worth
and moved it to Rawlings. Well, then the bigger acquisition happened later...haha.
I really wish Miken would have stayed into fastpitch. The MFB was a bat nobody wanted or even heard of until Miken was clearing inventory out
and prices were down to like 130-150 or so and people gave it a shot because of the price.

Miken and Worth are still big in the slowpitch world.

Mar 24, 2022
I took a chance on the Monsta Hype. This is my smaller 11U daughter. Week old 29/19 Hype and very well broken in 29/18 double barrel 2022 Ghost. It's not much to go on, but doing front toss the Hype beat out the Ghost in max velo on the Hit Trax. Not sure if Hype gets hotter with more swings, but happy with it so far.

PXL_20220811_184704561.MP_2.jpgPXL_20220811_185410085.MP_2.jpg

Jul 19, 2021
I took a chance on the Monsta Hype. This is my smaller 11U daughter. Week old 29/19 Hype and very well broken in 29/18 double barrel 2022 Ghost. It's not much to go on, but doing front toss the Hype beat out the Ghost in max velo on the Hit Trax. Not sure if Hype gets hotter with more swings, but happy with it so far.

View attachment 26245View attachment 26246
The ghost had a higher average. That indicates that it has a bigger sweet spot than the Hype.

Mar 24, 2022
The ghost had a higher average. That indicates that it has a bigger sweet spot than the Hype.
I'd agree the ghost does seem like the sweet spot extends a little further towards the hands than the hype. Will keep comparing them through the winter, probably be sending the ghost in for a replacement in another month though. I was just trying to post some actual data on the bat, rather than just bash it like some people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi