Molded Cleats/ Sever’s Recommendation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD has Sever’s Disease and wears an ankle wrap while playing. I am looking for a recommendation for a comfortable cleat and maybe shoe insert to get for her. The cleats only need to last about 3 months.

Has anyone tried the high-top cleats? Did you find that it help support the ankles?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sorry, I know they are not related. She also has bad ankles which is why she wears an ankle brace. Sorry, I did not post that very well.

We have tried the stop playing for a while and the pain just comes back when she starts playing again so rest does not seem to help.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
There was another thread recently that included Severs info. Search by "heel"
I just ordered some insoles from the link in that thread. DD is just starting to have heel issues - not diagnosed as anything but all things appear Sever's.

DD played yesterday and I used KT tape on her heel. She didn't feel any pain. Give it a try. YouTube search and you'll find application video- very simple.

She pitches and wears Ringors cleats but has others (less expensive) with no marked difference, from her opinion - in relation to her heel pain.

Best of luck

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Pain won't go away until she stops growing, you have to manage it.
No opinion on specific cleats, but make sure you do not put pressure on the achilles tendon.

Oct 16, 2014
I actually like the mens high top molded cleats from Under Armor. they are pretty much the same as the womens molded cleat but a mid rise ankle that give a little more support..
And I've never seen THESE in real life but they look like they could give a real good amount of ankle support as well. I find that they don't make many good women's high top cleats..DD has worn boys or mens. Just make sure to do the size conversion it's like 1.5 -2 sizes smaller than womens. DD wears an 8 womens and a 6.5 mens

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
We had good results with the recent pair of mizuno cleats. They were around $70 at a local baseball/softball warehouse. She is a women's 6 at 9 yrs old. I'll look up the model tomorrow.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
MY DD with Sever's wears Tanels (actually they all do). As has been said, no shoe will relieve the effects of Sever's but they are definitely the most comfortable cleats we've owned.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1