Model Pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Jennie Finch:

16h3kfl.gif

Aug 21, 2008
I have not been following this thread so I've not read any of the first 5 pages.... but for some reason I was pulled to it now and to see this last video of Japan Vs. USA. This is another example of what sickens me. Far too many people scream and cry bloody murder when a pitcher "hops" or when they perceive he/she is hopping, real or imagined. Yet absolutely nothing gets said about this USA hitter who clearly steps out of the box when she makes contact with the ball. It's another example of how we dumb down the game, try to make pitchers stay by 1950's rules while hitters are allowed to use 2011 style of play and equipment. We continually give hitters advantages of new bats, balls, not calling slappers out of the box, etc. yet the pitching rules are still antiquated.

Bill

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I have not been following this thread so I've not read any of the first 5 pages.... but for some reason I was pulled to it now and to see this last video of Japan Vs. USA. This is another example of what sickens me. Far too many people scream and cry bloody murder when a pitcher "hops" or when they perceive he/she is hopping, real or imagined. Yet absolutely nothing gets said about this USA hitter who clearly steps out of the box when she makes contact with the ball. It's another example of how we dumb down the game, try to make pitchers stay by 1950's rules while hitters are allowed to use 2011 style of play and equipment. We continually give hitters advantages of new bats, balls, not calling slappers out of the box, etc. yet the pitching rules are still antiquated.

Bill

Good catch Bill ... she was clearly out of the batter's box when making contact and should have been called 'out'. The result of this pitch was a foul, but she went on to record a single from this at-bat.

What I admire about Ueno is that she is relatively "short" ..... that is, doesn't have the advantage of "long levers", yet throws incredibly hard ... I believe she's been recorded throwing 70mph. She seems to be an example that being "big" is not a requirement of being an accomplished pitcher. Any thoughts on what she is doing so well that allows her to reach such high pitch speeds?

As for the rules ... I believe we'll see the bat standards being enforced in the near future ... and I believe many of the current bats will be classified as 'illegal'. For the last few years during the annual ASA rule overview, there has been a motion to allow pitchers to 'leap' ... I suspect we are getting closer to the day when leaping will be allowed.

Jul 26, 2010
Ueno has no hips, and throws around her body, much like a batter would use pelvic twist to give them rotational momentum in their swing. If you've ever coached youth, and had girls pitch like this (it's fairly common unfortunately, For some reason some instructors release the ball at the seam on the side of the pants) you have all kinds of problems when they hit puberty. They either give up because they get tired of smacking themselves or they develop crazy lean, sideways pelvic tilt, or non-linear arm whips to get "around" the issue. If they stayed open in the first place they would never have had to make this adjustment. I'd never want a girl to be taught to pitch like Ueno pitches. . . sure, she gets results, but you wonder how many kids have ended up with health issues trying to emulate her.

-W

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619