Mizzou vs UCLA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I disagree. It is by definition training. Is it sufficient to protect against any and all hard shots? Of course not. But it is far and away better than nothing, which unfortunately is the norm.

I'll give you that, but how much does it help in the original clip of the pitcher getting hit? IMO, on those few shots like the above case, no training will help.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I'll give you that, but how much does it help in the original clip of the pitcher getting hit? IMO, on those few shots like the above case, no training will help.

Enhanced training may or may not have made a difference. Did you happen to see where she left her glove at the completion of the pitch? Given the threat potential would you consider that position to be optimal?

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Enhanced training may or may not have made a difference. Did you happen to see where she left her glove at the completion of the pitch? Given the threat potential would you consider that position to be optimal?

Nope, not optimal. We can respectfully agree to disagree. I still believe there are some shots in softball and baseball that no amount of training can protect you from. The drills posting in the thread are better than nothing, but won't stop them all. The glove can't cover every spot of the body.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Nope, not optimal. We can respectfully agree to disagree. I still believe there are some shots in softball and baseball that no amount of training can protect you from. The drills posting in the thread are better than nothing, but won't stop them all. The glove can't cover every spot of the body.

I certainly agree that there are shots that travel faster than the human body can react. However, I submit that they are the exception not the norm and although training is no substitute for a mask it has the potential to reduce the incidence of injury.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I certainly agree that there are shots that travel faster than the human body can react. However, I submit that they are the exception not the norm and although training is no substitute for a mask it has the potential to reduce the incidence of injury.

Maybe we don't disagree at all. :D I was only speaking to those hits that exceed the pitcher's reaction time. Which are a vast minority of balls put into play.

Feb 22, 2013
I really don't think that pitcher getting struck by a line drive to the head is an issue of training, glove positioning, reflex time, skill level, girls vs. boys, etc.

I was reading an article on ESPN the other day and saw this quote,

The 10 active pitchers who were hit in the head by liners before this year are Aroldis Chapman, Alex Cobb, John Danks, Doug Fister, J.A. Happ, David Huff, Dan Jennings, Brandon McCarthy, Juan Nicasio and Chris Young.

The article went on to say that there have been 3 Major League Baseball pitchers who have been struck in the head by line drives already this year.

I was watching a fastpitch college D1 softball game and saw a replay of a pitcher who was hit by a line drive in the head and the ball went up in the air about 20 feet and was caught by an infielder and an out was recorded. The reason that they showed the replay was because the next time she came out to pitch, she wasn't wearing a pitching mask. I would think that being struck in the head by a line drive would be motivation enough to make a change for the player, but as we see in the higher divisions of baseball and softball, it isn't always the case.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
There's nothing you can do .... vs. What I did & do.....

Anyways I don't think I took too much time out of practice on it... She is doing real well.... Pitching, Catching, Middlefield'er & Hitter !!!

Its raining here so I'll have to make the video Tomorrow....

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I really don't think that pitcher getting struck by a line drive to the head is an issue of training, glove positioning, reflex time, skill level, girls vs. boys, etc.
Totally agree. If Mike Mussina, a 7 time gold glove award winning pitcher can be drilled in the head with a line drive during his career (and he was), then it can happen to anyone.

Jun 19, 2013
"Fools and their money are soon parted" ~Salmon

Foolish.... only if you don't know how to train for it..... :cool:

So you might want to consider posting a correction to this post because it sure sounds disrespectful to the injured pitcher. Like you are saying that if only this WAY older, WAY more athletic, WAY more experienced D1 college pitcher who has faced 10x better competition than your DD had known what you are teaching your 12U daughter that this wouldn't have happened? I've kept reading hoping that that wasn't what you are saying?? I'm sort of flabbergasted and don't know if you realize that's what you sound like in this and most of the other posts here. Sounds like you are saying if your DD were in that circle she would have handled it way better . . . most all of our DD's were able to stop all the line drives in rec ball too, but just wait until you have a 15 year old ASA A ball player who is 6" drilling the ball back at her and see if you are posting the same crud.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06