Mizzou vs UCLA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We use softees for all the infielders and have drills for hops, etc, one is related to protecting the face. For little kids we use tennis balls. I know teams who throw tennis balls at batters, so why not at pitchers?

Man, I just want to scream at some of these replies. First, you don't throw the tennis balls at the hitter at game speed. You throw it while teaching how to turn with the blow and deflect. It prevents them from taking the shot straight on. If you throw at the pitcher, in this scenario, you have to throw at their face. Among other things, they can have a detached retna if they miss that ball and it hits them in the eye. I've had one. Not fun. As an FYI, if I saw a coach throwing, hitting, ... any balls at any child's head, I'm going to kick their ... and that's a promise. Don't think I can't do it.

I'll leave this thread now and for a few days. As my brother say, "it can't be fixed." I am going to work on something to wrap up my daughter's career. I hope some might find it beneficial. Until then, I've had as much as I can take.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC, so are you saying you are going to toss up a ball and hit it at your daughter's face to simulate comebackers? Please tell me you are not saying that. That is the only real way you can practice reacting to something you can't simulate in practice any other way. I think I need to stay out of this thread. I wonder if some of you understand the real talent level out there and what these hitters are capable of doing! After some of you have been sitting in that emergency room waiting on the condition of your daughter after being hit by a line drive to the face, come back here and post how you feel.

No I'm not saying that.... I think you guys got to be kidding me, so I'll go make a video of it... OK I will...been looking every where for the one I did, even think I posted on here ???? I'll make it tomorrow.

Also 124 post, and not one other attempt @ a solution by anyone. Here is a clip of using the Zip Line to RH Slap. This is the time frame I made the Comebacker Clip.... Also DD teaching her little friend.... if she would have cracked it, You would see what I mean...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u4mJUoWgw4s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jKBDo9IvYWw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Another Zip Line Clip.... you should be getting the Idea ??? Here is when I told her about comebackers, and tried to show her... without the Zip Line

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/akGTce3al60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XaW8GMCwz-8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I apologize to everyone for apparently I'm typing these responses in a foreign or alien language. I thought that the topic was how to practice and prevent the come backer at the face. That is what each of my responses have been geared toward. I thought that this thread was about the young lady getting hit in the face. Man, I need a reading comprehension course. Again, I apologize about responding in either a foreign language or alien. Even I don't know which I use from time to time and the only one who has figured it all out is my wife.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yep .... by way of review, I think I have provided the solutions. Working on your reaction to comebackers has to be a big part of pitching... mask or no mask. :cool:

PC, so are you saying you are going to toss up a ball and hit it at your daughter's face to simulate comebackers? Please tell me you are not saying that. That is the only real way you can practice reacting to something you can't simulate in practice any other way. I think I need to stay out of this thread. I wonder if some of you understand the real talent level out there and what these hitters are capable of doing! After some of you have been sitting in that emergency room waiting on the condition of your daughter after being hit by a line drive to the face, come back here and post how you feel.

RHC, that is tragic. I will say a prayer for that family.

CB, you nailed it. You are communicating with someone that hasn't seen the talent level out there. They simply have no idea and are living in a semi-fantasy world.

Feb 14, 2010
CB and others are 100% correct when they say there is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent or train for a pissrod coming right back at you @ maximum velocity.

I also agree with PC, When he says this ball wasn't crushed and that's the SCARY part. I've seen balls hit way harder than this one that barely missed a kids face. Good god can you imagine what would happen if one of those were a direct hit?

Why does it ALWAYS have to take a fatality for change to be implemented? I'm a father of a DD who I consider to be a damn good hitter and I'm telling you now, I've seen her just smash a ball so close to a kids head and they didn't even react till the ball was in the 30' in OF and that's a big time D1 recruit 3B playing at the bag. My DD has told me before that it would really tear her up if she hurt someone hitting. I've told her that's not on you honey,you've got a job to do so you do it. It's not just my kid either.

Just like CB stated. Until you go out and play against national level talent and compete against D1 recruits you will never understand what these kids are capable of doing.

I'm a "hitting" guy and I agree 100% with FFS. These bats need to be rained in. I've always thought that eventually that the bats would be rained in and I've trained my DD with that thought in the back of my mind.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I mentioned this earlier in the year but when UMSL was in Arizona, BB hit a line drive at the pitcher. She was on the ground screaming and BB was crying at 1st. That shot broke the pitcher's collar bone. I emailed the coach and told her that BB was so sorry that it happened. The coach replied that she appreciated it and would pass it on to the pitcher but that BB should not feel bad about competing in a collegiate game where she crushed a ball.

Ironically, every year, when the NCAA Tournament begins, the bats are tested and so, BB's bat has been thrown out each and every year. This year when she has hit the most home runs with some being absolute monster blast, her bat fell well within the guidelines. As some of you might have read, the players at UMSL really did stop to watch her hit in BP. They have a drainage area that they call the snake pit. Beyond that is a level area before UMSL apartments start. It was not uncommon for BB to put balls in those apartment yards. That is easily 300 feet. I too am in favor of the bats and their specs being rethought through. Take BB, when she went to UMSL, she was strong but now powerful. She is powerful now. That bat at a drop 10 is a weapon. Perhaps make all bats a drop 5 or drop 3. JMHO!

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
You can't build an athlete. Their skills can certainly be honed, but reflexes are reflexes. I've seen 1st hand a kid with real good reflexes get hit hard and she never had a chance to react. This was at the HS level. Far from the best out there.

Quick tossing a ball back to the pitcher IS NOT training for the hot come backers. Like CB said, the only training for that would get the coach in a heap of trouble.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...Quick tossing a ball back to the pitcher IS NOT training for the hot come backers...

I disagree. It is by definition training. Is it sufficient to protect against any and all hard shots? Of course not. But it is far and away better than nothing, which unfortunately is the norm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06