Mitt help please?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
When I bought my CMW3000 I really felt like I had done a ton of research when buying a mitt for me, but in hindsight I really only considered a All Star and a Vinci before I really started looking. My DD plays 14U travel and she had a 3.5 hour practice yesterday and one of our catchers was not going to be there. The HC ask me (I knew he would) if I would help warm up the pitchers.

The 30 minute pitching session was over and the girls went with the HC for hitting drills, so I'm sitting on a bucket staying out of everyone's way and the one catcher who was there was taking off her gear for her hitting drills. She threw everything in a pile about 10 feet from me and left. So being the nosey equipment dad I am, I got up to grab her mitt to check out. It was Worth Liberty Advanced mitt and I got to tell you, its a great mitt ! If I would have got to hold and examine one before I bought my All Star I may have bought one? I really like my 3000, but this Worth is definitely a mitt to consider.

I know Eric on here is a rep for Akadema and that's another mitt I've never held but I sure its a great mitt also. To the OP, its a great time to be a fastpitch glove consumer because there is so many great glove options out there. I know Nokona is another great glove company with a very loyal following but I would never personally pay $100 more for one over that Worth I held yesterday. But that's just me.

Oct 16, 2014
^^ thank you I was actually eyeing the worth. One of the Wilson's came yesterday (A600) and DD decided it wasn't "the one" almost immediately" She didn't like how it fit her hand, says the finger stalls are too far apart and she feels like her fingers are too spread out. It's a beautiful glove though. She appeased me and took a few practice catches in it and none of the balls popped out so thats a plus!! but she says its just not comfortable. I imagine the A1500 will be similar in pattern so it may be up to the Easton and if she doesn't like that I'll probably check out the Worth too

I'll do a full post once they all arrive

Jun 24, 2011
My 01 DD used a Wilson A1000 through the end of 2014. After trying on all the big name mitts at Homerunmonkey, she decided on an All Star CMW3000 for a Christmas gift. Zero regrets, high quality leather, no sting and a pocket that just gobbles the ball. Got it brand new for way less than retail on eBay.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
When I bought my CMW3000 I really felt like I had done a ton of research when buying a mitt for me, but in hindsight I really only considered a All Star and a Vinci before I really started looking. My DD plays 14U travel and she had a 3.5 hour practice yesterday and one of our catchers was not going to be there. The HC ask me (I knew he would) if I would help warm up the pitchers.

The 30 minute pitching session was over and the girls went with the HC for hitting drills, so I'm sitting on a bucket staying out of everyone's way and the one catcher who was there was taking off her gear for her hitting drills. She threw everything in a pile about 10 feet from me and left. So being the nosey equipment dad I am, I got up to grab her mitt to check out. It was Worth Liberty Advanced mitt and I got to tell you, its a great mitt ! If I would have got to hold and examine one before I bought my All Star I may have bought one? I really like my 3000, but this Worth is definitely a mitt to consider.

I know Eric on here is a rep for Akadema and that's another mitt I've never held but I sure its a great mitt also. To the OP, its a great time to be a fastpitch glove consumer because there is so many great glove options out there. I know Nokona is another great glove company with a very loyal following but I would never personally pay $100 more for one over that Worth I held yesterday. But that's just me.

I have had a Worth Liberty Advanced on my paw for just a few minutes, and was really impressed. It has substantial palm protection and appears to be very well built. It's definitely a Worth-while consideration ;)

Feb 5, 2013
DD has the Worth Liberty Advanced. It has taken longer to break in than expected, but she's happy with it overall. The padding is substantial, even though it doesn't feel like a "thick" glove (if that makes any sense). It remains to be seen how the leather will soften up, as right now it still feels stiff. Maybe that's just the extra padding vs. her Mizuno GXS-92.

She's catching a 13-year old throwing 60-62 without any impact sting, which is a good thing.

May 5, 2015
Hello everybody!

I've been reading stuff on this forum for like a week and decided to register to get some help. I've trained for a fastpitch catcher (I'm thirty, but well, they say it's never too late to learn... ;) ) for over half a year and I like it. So, the time has come to choose a mitt. The big problem is, I live in a country where this sport is not popular enough to put the mitts on shelves or at least to have online shops providing mitts with return policy. So, I don't have the luxury of trying mitts on.

I currently use my team's old Rawlings, something similar to this one New Rawlings 5SCCM 550 34" Fastpitch Catchers Mitt RHT Baseball Softball Glove | eBay but I find it too big for my hand and not padded well enough on the palm (though I usually receive the ball in the pocket, occasionally it hits where it shouldn't and that hurts a bit). We also have a Louisville mitt but it's even worse - I managed to get my thumb hurt in it. My teammate had let my try on her Nokona and it fitted quite well.

I know that one should never buy a mitt/glove without trying it on first. Well, in this case I may just have to do it. I need a mitt that will protect my thumb and palm plus will fit my somewhat small hand with rather short fingers. I can spend up to $250. As I'm a back-up catcher I don't expect to play more than 10 games a year. We have pitcher/catcher trainings up to 3 times a week. Also, I'm not a big fan of Velcro straps (though I can do with them if I have to). Any suggestions, pretty, pretty please?

EDIT
I decided to go with Worth Liberty Advanced, got it for a nice price, too, at: http://baseball.epicsports.com/prod/73046/worth-liberty-advanced-34-fastpitch-catchers-mitt.html

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2015
I had the same issue with my daughter's previous glove. It turned out to be a bit too big. She is approximate to your daughter's size. We ended up going with the All Star Vela Pro Fastpitch Catcher Mitt in size 33.5". I found it on sale on the internet. I think the place was called Baseball Bargains. Either way try it out. She now fits in the 34 with no issues, so not a waste

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd