Mississippi will be the first state to require the four most dangerous positions (including catcher) to wear face masks in High School.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2013
It’s not sexist by any means, boys are able to wear them too and unless it’s mandatory through your club/association it’s not required for girls to wear them, it is purely a recommendation in most places.... you go watch men’s slow pitch and the majority of pitchers wear them if they are play class C or higher
My DD is required to wear a face mask, at 18u, while at bat in softball. Boys are not. No argument can be made that it is not sexist. Of course, girls are just more fragile and requiring our constant over watch and protection. I vote we require bubble wrap suits as well from this point on.

Mar 13, 2010
Ehhhh is a pretty strong feminist and the reaction times in softball are a very valid point.

Baseballers have quicker times to react than softballers.

And the drop does need to be regulated. I have to say though as someone who swings a 34/24 id REALLY struggle to swing a 34/29. That’s insanely heavy for women.

Jun 8, 2016
Ehhhh is a pretty strong feminist and the reaction times in softball are a very valid point.

Baseballers have quicker times to react than softballers.

And the drop does need to be regulated. I have to say though as someone who swings a 34/24 id REALLY struggle to swing a 34/29. That’s insanely heavy for women.
They can regulate the bat performance, regardless of drop, if they wanted to. That is what they did in college baseball.

Mar 24, 2016
If you watch baseball men are wearing all kinds of stuff while batting elbow protectors, shin guards c helmets etc. and I see them wearing special gloves for sliding they are just as fragile. Nobody wants to get hurt. There are some girls that want to wear mask's but don't because of fear of ridicule.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
As a catcher, I am required to wear a facemask to play my position. I think it's required by every level nationwide...but I could be talking out of my butt. In the off chance I get to play third base or even more rare, pitch, I also wear a fielder's mask. I wear one not only for my safety because you never know what a ball is going to do once it's hit, but I wore braces for 30 months and my parents spent over $7k on my mouth. I'm not going to do anything to endanger their investment. I want it to be if I need dental work like that again, I want it to be because I either developed sensitivity issues, something's happened in my mouth or I neglected to wear my retainer.

Apr 16, 2013
As long as it's their choice and your choice, that's beyond acceptable. Encouraged is wonderful even. Anything that is REQUIRED for girls but not boys = sexist.

May 29, 2015
Well ... there is a very good argument that it isn’t sexist ... Baseball and softball are different games. Baseball bases are at 90 feet (full size, anyway) while softball bases are at 60 feet. That shaves off a heck of a lot of reaction time.

Sexist would be: your daughter has to wear a mask to play baseball but the boys do not.

May 26, 2019
New Richmond, Wi
Well ... there is a very good argument that it isn’t sexist ... Baseball and softball are different games. Baseball bases are at 90 feet (full size, anyway) while softball bases are at 60 feet. That shaves off a heck of a lot of reaction time.

Sexist would be: your daughter has to wear a mask to play baseball but the boys do not.
Can I like this MULTIPLE TIME....you clearly get😁

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi