minors rules modifications

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
We don't allow stealing 2B at this level in rec. No continuation. 5 run limit all innings. No stealing home, no coming home on an overthrow (catchers can try for pickoffs without consequence). Cannot walk in a run. HBP they stay at bat - no one is throwing hard enough to scare anyone.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
The local LL had rules I really didn't like, which is why DD 3 played up in majors her second year of 10u.

Coach pitch only the first half of the season (was first 2/3 DD 3's first year of minors) exception for this rule was when we played away at another LL

No walks. After 4 balls the pitcher only plays D and a coach pitches.

No stolen bases. Exception when the team played away.

One base on an overthrow.

Squishy ball.

DD 3 got to play one game away where SB were allowed. She stole a base. That fall the older 10u kids got to play up in majors. She stole some bases. One day that fall she got to play up on DD 1's juniors team. DD 3 stole a base.

So, DD 3 was the only girl ever to steal bases for the West Madison Little League for minors, majors and juniors all the same year.

Aug 12, 2014
Our 10U rules are:

No walks - coach pitch on ball 4
One base on a steal (I'd rather have no stealing at all)
No D3K
6 run max per inning
9 out limit for pitchers, can reinsert a pitcher if removed pitching less than 9 outs

Aug 12, 2014
The issue becomes if you don't do this games can basically be over after the first couple innings because the other team can not mathematically catch up, so any time a team is up by more than 5 going into the last inning the game is just over.

But with timed games, you don't always know if you are starting the last inning or not.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Good ideas and suggestions. So many things that you can do or not do that you can help out the overall experience. We used to have several local rules in place but now only a few that I can recall. We finally came to the idea that if we follow the rule book as stated it will prevent alot of the issues we faced in LL from interleagues, parents, etc.

So, at the end of the day, if you follow the rule book to the T, you can't go wrong. Of course, if you think modifications will help (local rules) then go for it but never hesitate to fall back on the rule book as written.

May 13, 2015
My opinions:

HBP - don't leave it open for interpretation. Pitchers need to learn to pitch, hitting batters motivates them to work on control cause it's 1 wild ball that gives up a base not 4 like walking. Also if you leave it up to the coach and one is down by one run with a strong batter up they will manipulate it to leave the batter there.

I don't like any not stealing home rules. The catchers need to be developed just as much as the pitchers, even if it is a wild pitch. I do like limiting the steals to 1 base a pitch though, so it keeps this somewhat in control. Then Leave the look back rule as is, like mentioned earlier. Limiting the stolen bases to one still allows the catcher to try and throw out the 2nd base steal as long as no one is on 3rd, without worry of giving up more runs/bases.

Run limits - I like leaving them the same 5 or 6 every inning. Someone mentioned a team not mathematically able to catch up if you don't allow more the last inning. I think the run rule is more to move the game along and allow both sides to bat and field more than allowing a team to catch up. If a team has run ruled another 3 innings in a row, then they will likely make adjustments to let other players play different positions than normal etc... This ends up helping both teams.

Personally I would double think posting so much negative specifics about a specific person (administrator). They may have the Internet too! Most everyone here has had to deal with someone similar and it can be very frustrating, but if people in your league happen to read some of this it may actually make your situation worse.

10u league rules where my daughter played:

Each inning the first walked batter got on base. After the first walk, a coach will come in and pitch the remaining strikes. If the pitcher had a full count then the coach gets one pitch regardless if it is a good one. If the kid through 4 straight balls then the coach would get 3 pitches. Starts over every inning.

One stolen base per pitch.

No limits on bases for an overthrow (had 1 at 8u)

HBP gets a base

They implemented D3K, and I think it went well. Gets the catchers and even more so the batters learning the concept.

Jun 11, 2013
If I could start a minors league I would try and schedule a double header when possible.

Game 1, kid pitch with run limit. Stealing allowed all bases on the pitch. No delayed stealing. Yes on D3K (assuming 10U).

Game 2, all coach pitch, get some defense in. No stealing or D3K. Just hitting and fielding.

All games 5 run limits. No open innings.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Niece played something like that. First 2 innings were kid pitch, if they walked 3 batters they were done for the inning and it was coach pitch. Not sure I like that but brother seemed to like it.

3 and on was all coach pitch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA