Things to Remember - Coaching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 15, 2023
Any advice on in-game coaching with 10u? Anything anyone keeps up with? Any mental reminders for a coach? Rules to keep in mind? Do’s and don’ts? Strategies to stay ahead?

Jun 18, 2023
Any advice on in-game coaching with 10u? Anything anyone keeps up with? Any mental reminders for a coach? Rules to keep in mind? Do’s and don’ts? Strategies to stay ahead?
Keep up on the little things, the basics. Even if you think they know them, or if they do know them. Because they've probably only known them for months. You've known things like "gotta get back on a caught fly ball with one out" for probably decades. They haven't.

Similarly, pay attention to things they're probably not going to spot. Move the outfielders back when their big hitter is up. Moving up in the box if the pitches are frequently hitting the plate, etc.

Mostly leave the players alone when they're doing their thing. Trying to fix mechanics during an AB is likely just going to make the player less focused on the pitch/ball. A thing I've been thinking of is if you've got the coach manpower for it, to make sure they're taking on-deck swings, as that seems like a good time to make those quick "stay back" type corrections.

Pitching, on the other hand, there are a lot of tweaks you can make during an inning as they start to go wild, especially if they (and you) understand simple "stay tall" type corrections. They're not going to make minute adjustments to like "bring it down a few inches!" though. If they could throw more strikes they would. I find telling them to "push off harder" works pretty well sometimes, at least keeps their energy towards the plate.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Do your best to avoid negative words. Can't, won't, shouldn't, doesnt, never, etc. And don't ask them why they did something wrong. It's easier said than done.

So saying "why didn't you hit the cutoff, we never throw it home from the outfield, that doesn't work, you can't be doing that, maybe I shouldn't have you play centerfield because you can't follow directions", it not conducive for improvement at 10u or any level for that matter. Try to speak positively and instruct with patience.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Not an "in-game" situation but rather, after the game keep your after-game comments to the team 5 minutes or less. Even in HS, I had a designated player set a timer and when it went off, I was done. Some coaches think that they are going to change things in that talk that would take hours of practice time to change. In that "talk" start and end with positive comments.

Jul 11, 2023
You can't "want it" more than the kids. Even the seemingly dedicated ones don't have an adult level of want.

No parents in the dugout.

Jan 20, 2023
Not an "in-game" situation but rather, after the game keep your after-game comments to the team 5 minutes or less. Even in HS, I had a designated player set a timer and when it went off, I was done. Some coaches think that they are going to change things in that talk that would take hours of practice time to change. In that "talk" start and end with positive comments.

My daughter had a coach that talked for like 45 minutes after every game. When I asked her what he talked about she always said - not a whole lot 🤣 which was funny cause it sure felt like a whole lot when you were waiting.

Apr 1, 2017
It doesn't matter if the players hope to play at Oklahoma, or if high school ball is as far as they will play (for many, they won't even make it to high school ball). Keep things positive, and make it fun. Yes, there are skills they need to work at to improve, but it shouldn't feel like a job to them.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
I am probably an outlier here but I am a big believer in real time teaching, especially 10U. And I talk about anything and everything that I think will help my players learn on the job. I have been known to stop play to go over a play and to help the other team's players and newbie coaches, if they seem receptive. If you want to win at the higher levels, you need to teach at the lower levels.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles