Middle School Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2016
For some reason I read 6th grade but had 5th grade ages in my head. At worst case you have 12u ages adding 3ft to what they’re used too. No biggie.

Our MS has 2 teams. The younger (5th and 6th typically) throw from 40'. The older (7th and 8th) throw from 43'

May 6, 2015
I hate when hitting at tryouts is all soft toss and tee work. I think you need to see how girls hit live pitching (or machine if live cannot get them enough real speed pitches to swing at). DD's strength is that she rarely Ks, almost always putting the ball in play. not tremendous power, so will not overwhelm someone seeing her hit soft toss or front toss, but a lot less swing and misses than most others on live pitching.

Jul 14, 2018
I hate when hitting at tryouts is all soft toss and tee work. I think you need to see how girls hit live pitching.

MS tryouts are such a mixed bag. The younger and less experienced players are overmatched by experienced 8th grade pitchers. DD’s tryouts had the younger pitchers throwing live so the coach could get a look, but they were all over the place (everyone got hit at least once).

At that level, the coaches can get a pretty good idea of who knows how to swing a bat just by hitting off a tee. If you have 15+ kids with solid swings, then again, nice problem to have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 10, 2018
I hate when hitting at tryouts is all soft toss and tee work. I think you need to see how girls hit live pitching (or machine if live cannot get them enough real speed pitches to swing at).

YES. I've seen girls do really well at tryouts who can't ride the interstate in games.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00