Middle School Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2021
This is MS, there really isn't a lot on the line. It is a perfect place for girls who haven't had much experience to get out there and take pride in representing their school. The top players will be playing TB concurrently so they will be getting their innings in. If it were me, I wouldn't cut anyone, and use the opportunity to teach more about teamwork leadership and life skills, while not worrying about the W/L record. Find a way for everyone to contribute both in practice and during games. Stress academics and culture, become the team that everyone wants to be a part of at the school.
I can't imaging cutting any athletic player in MS.......I know many programs are lucky and have too many good players but I agree so much with this post.

We have an 8th grade team this year with 4 travel pitchers on it.......all 4 could play for many local varsity teams. 16 total kids. We should have many opportunities to develop our roster.

May 10, 2021
Pitching was a huge factor for us last year. Our little league was only three years old because it had dried up several years before that. We're a tiny, economically depressed town, so we only had one kid with travel experience and she had played one game of MS ball in 2018 as a 5th grader.

Our middle school program had a gap year in 2019 for lack of a coach. In 2020 we had 20 girls show up. Ten had 1-2 years of experience in our infant LL, which had two teams comprised of girls from 7-13. One 8th grader (my older one) who had two years experience. The one travel kid, and the remaining 8 were wearing a glove for the first time. The season was canceled due to covid a few days before our first game, which was the best thing that could have happened.

Last year, we had one girl with pitching experience. Threw in the low 40's but was wild most of the time and her point of no return was after two walks. A couple other girls knew the motion and threw a strike maybe 1 in 10. Keep in mind, few people around here can get their kids due to money, time, etc. The nearest lessons are 45 minutes away.

As I stated before, it was brutal. We couldn't hit, constant walks, very weak at catcher. Our infield was reasonably competent, but had very little opportunities to field a ball. Our outfield was a complete liability.

Our HS team had a similar experience.

Just before the 2021 MS season started, my younger daughter, who was 7th grade with one year of experience) decided she wanted to pitch. She took lessons throughout the season but I never put her in. She would have done just as poorly as our "relievers," and I decided the experience had a good chance of killing her desire to continue pitching.

After another slaughter in the EOY tournament she swore she wouldn't let 2022 season be like that. She's put in a ton of work. We held open sessions on the field all summer, and some of our girls played LL fall ball in another town. Every damned summer weekday evening I was out there working with 7 or 8 MS and HS kids. We held open hitting and pitching workouts once a week each from fall until three weeks ago. We have 4 girls now who can throw better than any of last year's relievers.

My daughter is a lot better pitcher now, and I'm optimistic about her success as #2 option. The starter from last season has improved as well and we're cautiously optimistic there. Our motto for this year has been "over the plate, down the middle, and let the defense do their job."

We had a couple coaching changes (tons of experience and success in baseball and softball), got our numbers down because the 21 we had were impossible to keep up with, got rid of a few kids who were only interested in goofing off and bringing the others to their level, and had a few come up with actual experience. The attitudes and willingness to work have been amazing.

Our goal is to go .500 and I think we have a good shot at it. It has been a TON of work bringing softball back to life in this town. I've said so many times..."there are athletes out there. We just have to find them before soccer does."

Soccer sucks. :)
I hope the work pays off for you! This is how you build a great small town program!

Feb 24, 2022
They just opened up our Middle School team to 5th graders to improve the numbers (did the same for baseball) - our Middle School is 4th-8th grade. I know of two 5th grade girls who will be "trying out" which should bring us to around 12 girls. I don't think we will make any cuts, but they did say that they expect 5th graders playing time to be limited - more for experience practicing with the older girls than a lot of game play. It's really true about the ebbs and flows of interest/talent, especially in a small town. This year will be the end of a strong 4 or 5 year cycle with lots of talented girls. They will probably be able to scrape a team together next year (when my daughter is in 8th grade), but will only have 3 or 4 club girls (luckily one of them is a strong pitcher).

Anyway, I know the girls are looking forward to it because many of them play on different club teams so this is the only chance that they get to play together.

Jun 8, 2016
DD's MS doesn't usually allow 6th graders (DD is in 6th grade) to play any sports (outside of cross-country running) but without them this year the fastpitch team would have had only 5 or 6 players.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Anyway, I know the girls are looking forward to it because many of them play on different club teams so this is the only chance that they get to play together.

Funny, in our town, the girls are all super skeptical because they play on 3 different (what could be described as "rival") TB teams and will have to learn how to play together.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri

School ball here is like that. DD always looks forward to it because her school friends are spread out across different TB teams. Only one is a teammate outside JH ball. So short of subbing now and again she doesn’t get to play with them outside of school season.

And she likes it for the other way around. She gets to face off against some of her TB teammates when their schools play each other.

Jun 8, 2016
School ball here is like that. DD always looks forward to it because her school friends are spread out across different TB teams. Only one is a teammate outside JH ball. So short of subbing now and again she doesn’t get to play with them outside of school season.

And she likes it for the other way around. She gets to face off against some of her TB teammates when their schools play each other.
Only one other kid played TB on DD's MS team last year and she was a 6th grader (pitcher) who had
just finished her last year of 10U (she is a 2010).. 🤣 Supposedly she might transfer to a different MS next year because her Mom thinks she is Monica Abbott (she's not) and doesn't want to slum it with that MS anymore..

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Only one other kid played TB on DD's MS team last year and she was a 6th grader (pitcher) who had
just finished her last year of 10U (she is a 2010)..

Wow, that can be tough. Between the two squads this year the coaches have 4 true pitchers.

We are a state that you can’t play school ball and TB. It’s either or. So, all of DD’s teammates are TB players. And I’d say 80% of them are varying degrees of B-level (for our region). When they play the other two or three schools who have similar rosters the games are fun to watch. But, when they play programs who aren’t as fortunate it can become a run rule real fast. Which isn’t fun for anyone.

We don’t have MS ball here. So 5th and 6th graders are forced to play competitive rec/local travel or real TB. Not sure how much of that plays a roll or not. What we classify as “rec” is barely softball. So most who are even semi-serious move on pretty quick.

Feb 24, 2022

Exactly - my daughter came up playing town travel (8u and 10u) with all of the girls on the Middle School team, but as they got older they seperated by age and girls went to different club teams. We still go watch her friends teams play during the season when we have time and my wife loses her mind, "Now you're going to a game that our daughter isn't even playing in?!" Hahaha. But it's still great to support girls that you grew up with, that's what sports should be all about. We also get to see some girls that we play against with our club team, softball is a very small world, you always see the same people over and over throughout the years.

Jun 8, 2016
Wow, that can be tough. Between the two squads this year the coaches have 4 true pitchers.

We are a state that you can’t play school ball and TB. It’s either or. So, all of DD’s teammates are TB players. And I’d say 80% of them are varying degrees of B-level (for our region). When they play the other two or three schools who have similar rosters the games are fun to watch. But, when they play programs who aren’t as fortunate it can become a run rule real fast. Which isn’t fun for anyone.

We don’t have MS ball here. So 5th and 6th graders are forced to play competitive rec/local travel or real TB. Not sure how much of that plays a roll or not. What we classify as “rec” is barely softball. So most who are even semi-serious move on pretty quick.
There are better MS programs in Norman, but in general the school (MS and HS) softball in this town isn't very good. There are not a lot of kids in Norman who play TB, or if they do it is pretty low level. Most of the other surrounding towns have much better programs. DD is no superstar, but in all honesty she could have contributed to the HS varsity team last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12