Middle School Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2020
I hate when hitting at tryouts is all soft toss and tee work. I think you need to see how girls hit live pitching (or machine if live cannot get them enough real speed pitches to swing at). DD's strength is that she rarely Ks, almost always putting the ball in play. not tremendous power, so will not overwhelm someone seeing her hit soft toss or front toss, but a lot less swing and misses than most others on live pitching.
Mine is exactly the same. She is not as powerful as the other girls, a lot of it due to her size, so head to head off a tee or slow coach pitch she would look inferior. Put her against good fast ptichers and she will shine in comparison.

Jun 1, 2015
I get the comment but why would the middle school field be anything other than 43’? Should be nothing to check.

Here in NYS, Modified softball (7-8th grade) can be either 40' or 43', depending on section and league rules. JV begins the 43' distance automatically. Sadly, I've seen some 7th and 8th-grade pitchers (non-TB girls) who can't hit the strike zone from 40', and that's all the team has for pitching. As an umpire, it royally SUCKS to deal with for games.

Sep 19, 2018
Here in NYS, Modified softball (7-8th grade) can be either 40' or 43', depending on section and league rules. JV begins the 43' distance automatically. Sadly, I've seen some 7th and 8th-grade pitchers (non-TB girls) who can't hit the strike zone from 40', and that's all the team has for pitching. As an umpire, it royally SUCKS to deal with for games.
I actually just looked this up yesterday. My DD (12U) school pitches from 43 and one of her teammates pitches from 40. Same Section within NYS.

Jan 25, 2022
Sucks for umps? Trying being the coach and players...lol. At least the ump is getting paid.

That was the MS team I helped coach last year. Shew. Half the kids had never played. Most of the rest had a year or two of a small LL (town of 1,800 people. LL only had existed for 3 years) comprised of kids age 7-12 on the same teams. It was rough.

After working all summer and fall/winter, we're in much better shape for this season, but it was so bad last year we were lucky to get any players back.

Nov 26, 2020
Our middle school team ended up taking almost everyone that came out. Roster was 24. At least 13 of those were 6 graders, 2 7th graders and the rest 8th graders. The team went 13-0 and won the district championship. The level of competition varied greatly so in some games the 8th graders didnt play or barely played and they rotated in the others. My 6th grader played in 4 games and got 10 plate appearances.

Jul 27, 2020
I actually just looked this up yesterday. My DD (12U) school pitches from 43 and one of her teammates pitches from 40. Same Section within NYS.

Is your DD in 7th grade? My DD is 12 plays TB and in 6th. NYS doesn’t allow 6th graders to play modified and think a reasons may be they are developing and could get hurt.

I’ve seen modified softball she’s definitely capable base on what I saw. It was really tough to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 19, 2018
Is your DD in 7th grade? My DD is 12 plays TB and in 6th. NYS doesn’t allow 6th graders to play modified and think a reasons may be they are developing and could get hurt.

I’ve seen modified softball she’s definitely capable base on what I saw. It was really tough to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes she is in 7th. and yes levels vary wildly. we have two teams. Last year I think one team was undefeated and the other lost most of their games. Our Highschool JV team was filled with 8th graders and was pretty dominant. We have a local travel team that does a really good job of training the girls.

Nov 22, 2019
My wife took my DD to watch our middle school play last spring. It was so bad the other team lent them a pitcher midway through the game. For some reason my DD is not allowed to play as a 6th grader this year despite them having no pitching. 6th graders are only allowed to run track.

It’s sad, the HS has had strong teams the last several years (one former pitcher is playing Power5), but the player pipeline is drying up with hardly any travel girls at younger ages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom