Meniscus Tear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Anyone have any experience with this?

My daughter from issue to issue

Broken radius with a fractured ulna -surgery
to Iliac Apophysitis
to Multi Directional Instability (MDI shoulder)
to possible Meniscus tear (I know a lot of worse knee issues than this)

It never ends.

I suffered a minor tear to my lateral meniscus caused by softball about 5 years ago. Due to the fact that I was a young athlete, they decided to perform arthroscopic surgery.
Depending on the location and size/type of tear, during the surgery they either trim the cartilage (this is what I had done, about 8 weeks recovery time) or repair the tear (much longer recovery, similar to that of a knee reconstruction).
Otherwise, if the tear is not causing too many problems with the joint, it can be managed without surgery. The best bet is, if it is a meniscus tear, to find a good orthopedic surgeon. They'll give you the best information.
With the cartilage being trimmed, I was warned that I would almost definitely suffer from arthritis in my knee at some point, which I'm already showing some signs of now (I'm 21).
I did get back to playing ball in 8 weeks though and still play now, my knee can just be a little bit troublesome at times.
Best wishes for your daughter.

May 18, 2009
I have what they call bucket tears in both knees. They seldom bother me but when the flap of meniscus moves into the wrong spot my knees will lock up.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
I suffered a minor tear to my lateral meniscus caused by softball about 5 years ago. Due to the fact that I was a young athlete, they decided to perform arthroscopic surgery.
Depending on the location and size/type of tear, during the surgery they either trim the cartilage (this is what I had done, about 8 weeks recovery time) or repair the tear (much longer recovery, similar to that of a knee reconstruction).
Otherwise, if the tear is not causing too many problems with the joint, it can be managed without surgery. The best bet is, if it is a meniscus tear, to find a good orthopedic surgeon. They'll give you the best information.
With the cartilage being trimmed, I was warned that I would almost definitely suffer from arthritis in my knee at some point, which I'm already showing some signs of now (I'm 21).
I did get back to playing ball in 8 weeks though and still play now, my knee can just be a little bit troublesome at times.
Best wishes for your daughter.

This is all good accurate info. I tore my meniscus two years ago and had the repair done. My knee is still not 100% and likely will never be, though I can use it fully and have no issues other than pain from overuse and a knack for predicting bad weather.

For a young athlete, the chances for the repair going well are much greater than for an older person (I'm 44). Removing or trimming the meniscus will almost definitely result in early onset arthritis, so if a repair is possible it would be the best option.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
Nothing to add to the above posts but good luck. Tore mine and they shaved it down. I get paion once in awhile but I am 45 so that could be old age and the fact that I lifeguard all summer (lol)

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I lived with a tear for a number of years until a slip caused my knee to balloon. After the MRI it was determined the torn flap had folded over on itself which caused the inflammation and swelling. The trim fixed the issue. I was walking with out crutches that week and was well enough to exercise in a month. I can not run very far without having pain in my knees but that could be my age and loss of cartilage.

I had my surgery performed with a epidural and watched the whole thing on a monitor. Pretty cool stuff but the paralysis for 3 hours was unsettling.

Dec 7, 2011
I have what they call bucket tears in both knees. They seldom bother me but when the flap of meniscus moves into the wrong spot my knees will lock up.

This is very similar to my experience. My right knee will at times "lock-up" and I have to jerk my heel to my butt to get it back into location. The problem is that once this sequence has occurred it is officially "aggravated" and I will have swelling and issues for a week+.

My overall recommendation is if it flaps and gets caught and regularly inflames - get it scoped. (as long as yer not a moldy-oldy like me where like doc says "let's be honest now, we would be fixing this for what high-level competition you are planning to enter...?)

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Lots of good information. Depending upon where/how it's torn, a PRP shot (Platelet Rich Plasma) may be helpful. My DD has a whole in her medial meniscus caused from the kneecap floating and wearing it away. She's had 2 shots and found them helpful. The ortho said surgery on a teenager would be his last option.

The best advice, is get a good ortho dr and a possible 2nd opinion.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Thanks all for the information.

Hopefully in a week or so she'll know what needs to be done. She's heading to an Ortho today.

For me, it's time to open up the checkbook again :rolleyes:

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I had a bucket tear in the middle of my Mweniscus. I had the Arthroscopic Surgery and like a dumb A$$ went out and pitched a coach pitch game for my team that same afternoon. The next day, even warm-up pants wouldn't fit over my thigh it was so swollen. No matter what the prognosis is, listen to the post-op instructions and FOLLOW them. BTW, I was up and playing/coaching again after 4 weeks of PT and constant work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1