Meagan Wiggins /George Brett

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
Not sure I understand why she isn't being viewed as turning the barrel. Her handset starts in a tipped position behind her head. But that's fine. You don't need to actively tip in order to turn. In the slow-mo version of the clip just when she looks like she might start to initiate a forward push she instead works the handle between her hands and snaps the barrel to contact. No?

giphy.gif

Body really turning hard and finishes early. The arms are left to push through contact. Mendoza like.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Body really turning hard and finishes early. The arms are left to push through contact. Mendoza like.

It's the hard turn, swinging around the body, that creates the hands/arms being spent before contact. The sharp /hard turn has the arc completed before contact and then a push through contact or disconnection. Mankin would say she completes shoulder rotation and pulling back with the lead shoulder to early.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Not sure I understand why she isn't being viewed as turning the barrel. Her handset starts in a tipped position behind her head. But that's fine. You don't need to actively tip in order to turn. In the slow-mo version of the clip just when she looks like she might start to initiate a forward push she instead works the handle between her hands and snaps the barrel to contact. No?

giphy.gif

I think what you describe it accurate. There is no tip, so she turns the barrel much more subtly. She is good. If your DD swings like this, leave it alone.

Apr 16, 2013
FYI ... for a treat, I'll have the girls hit baseballs ... big difference in how far baseballs fly with the same swing.

Indeed... with a softball bat. My DD will often get a baseball for the last toss during her softball practice. The field is a middle school baseball field. She typically puts it in the trees around 40ft past the fence (250). However, when you put a wood bat in her hands 300ft becomes a near perfect swing, best of the best... not average. Wood changes a lot of things. ;)

Apr 16, 2013
Ok I think that might be a good hitting tool. The young lady demonstrating it in the lower right hand corner is killin me. The other hook thing(inside trainer) they are selling , thoughts. How about the swing rail for dry swings to correct the casters.

I might still have mine I'll sell ya. I think we used it around 5x back when she was 9. :p I kid. Seriously, it CAN be a good tool. However, you can adjust your swing in order to hit it "straight" and still have a horrid swing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand