Meagan Wiggins /George Brett

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Hands turn the handle which turns the barrel. Give your hitter the goal of turning the crap out of the barrel and watch how the body organizes around that goal. It will twitch, jive, juke, dive, duck, drop and whatever else it has to do to support the goal of turning the barrel

A hard thing for young developing hitters to understand at 'swing launch' is that the hands are not used to push the barrel forward.

Charlie Lau Jr referred to the top-hand as a swing poison. Why? Because he perceived that many had a tendency to push the handle forward at swing launch ... and when used that way the top-hand is pretty much a swing poison.

On the other hand, in my opinion anyway, if you promote a solid top-hand path, then the top-hand is far from a swing poison, but is instead an incredible gift.

You will hear pros speak of 'staying short' frequently. In other words, they are keeping their rear-arm in a Vee-formation and not pushing out of it early. They are first generating circular energy. They are remaining in a Vee-orientation with their rear arm as they advance towards the ball ... that is "short to" in the phrase "short to, long through". They are 'short' as they go 'to' the ball.

The top-hand, or more accurately, the rear forearm (or entire rear-arm if you wish) is a thrower ... a sidearm thrower ... a "short to" thrower. The rear forearm action that many describe as supination is simply a rear-arm throwing pattern in which the rear-arm remains 'short' ... 'short to' ... during the creation of circular energy.

Understand what 'bleeding the corner' really is when working with hitters. The concept of 'getting under it' (rear lower back) can be extremely helpful in advancing developing hitters. Fail to do that and it is of little help to be 'short to' ... you want to be 'short to' while 'getting under it'.

In my opinion, if you teach the top-hand path ... and how the rear arm goes into a 'short to' throwing pattern during the creation of circular energy ... as well as the lead-arm leveling at swing launch ... then there is zero need to speak of 'turning the barrel', because the barrel will orbit just as it should.

Teach the rear-arm to be a thrower ... a 'short-to' thrower ... and the lead-arm to be a swinger that is 'inspired' at 'swing launch' ... and you'll go a long ways to building productive hitters.

May 3, 2014
A hard thing for young developing hitters to understand at 'swing launch' is that the hands are not used to push the barrel forward.

Charlie Lau Jr referred to the top-hand as a swing poison. Why? Because he perceived that many had a tendency to push the handle forward at swing launch ... and when used that way the top-hand is pretty much a swing poison.

On the other hand, in my opinion anyway, if you promote a solid top-hand path, then the top-hand is far from a swing poison, but is instead an incredible gift.

You will hear pros speak of 'staying short' frequently. In other words, they are keeping their rear-arm in a Vee-formation and not pushing out of it early. They are first generating circular energy. They are remaining in a Vee-orientation with their rear arm as they advance towards the ball ... that is "short to" in the phrase "short to, long through". They are 'short' as they go 'to' the ball.

The top-hand, or more accurately, the rear forearm (or entire rear-arm if you wish) is a thrower ... a sidearm thrower ... a "short to" thrower. The rear forearm action that many describe as supination is simply a rear-arm throwing pattern in which the rear-arm remains 'short' ... 'short to' ... during the creation of circular energy.

Understand what 'bleeding the corner' really is when working with hitters. The concept of 'getting under it' (rear lower back) can be extremely helpful in advancing developing hitters. Fail to do that and it is of little help to be 'short to' ... you want to be 'short to' while 'getting under it'.

In my opinion, if you teach the top-hand path ... and how the rear arm goes into a 'short to' throwing pattern during the creation of circular energy ... as well as the lead-arm leveling at swing launch ... then there is zero need to speak of 'turning the barrel', because the barrel will orbit just as it should.

Teach the rear-arm to be a thrower ... a 'short-to' thrower ... and the lead-arm to be a swinger that is 'inspired' at 'swing launch' ... and you'll go a long ways to building productive hitters.

I just tell them to turn the barrel as I show them how the rear forearm works to turn it. I have been using the red spatula much more lately in lessons as way to show how this happens very quickly. I am using it as the spatula maker intended it to be used for

May 21, 2014

first part of that...that is a very excellent visual. thanks!

second part of that... lead arm leveling at swing launch....do you mean decreasing the angle of the elbow during stride?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
first part of that...that is a very excellent visual. thanks!

second part of that... lead arm leveling at swing launch....do you mean decreasing the angle of the elbow during stride?

When I get a moment I'll put up some videos that will help you picture the lead-arm leveling process. Won't happen today though.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I just tell them to turn the barrel as I show them how the rear forearm works to turn it. I have been using the red spatula much more lately in lessons as way to show how this happens very quickly. I am using it as the spatula maker intended it to be used for

I haven't used the red pancake flippers for several years now. Thanks for the idea ... will flip a few pancakes tonight and see if I want to use them in lessons again.

You frequently speak of the top-hand contribution to orbiting/arching/turning the barrel. Any reason you don't speak of the importance of the bottom hand? It truly is a significant contributor in the early orbiting process.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I haven't used the red pancake flippers for several years now. Thanks for the idea ... will flip a few pancakes tonight and see if I want to use them in lessons again.

You frequently speak of the top-hand contribution to orbiting/arching/turning the barrel. Any reason you don't speak of the importance of the bottom hand? It truly is a significant contributor in the early orbiting process.

Ok I'll bite. what do you use the pancake flipper for and does it have to be red?

Also "bleeding the corner" explanation would be appreciated. Thanks

May 3, 2014

I talk of the bottom hand a lot (maybe just not as part of these discussions). When I have a hitter hold the bat out in front of them with the arms fully extended the back and forth motion shows the top and bottom hand action very clearly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles