Meagan Wiggins /George Brett

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
Charlie Lau Jr referred to the top-hand as a swing poison. Why? Because he perceived that many had a tendency to push the handle forward at swing launch ... and when used that way the top-hand is pretty much a swing poison.

On the other hand, in my opinion anyway, if you promote a solid top-hand path, then the top-hand is far from a swing poison, but is instead an incredible gift.

How do you teach the solid top hand path? Are there specific drills or posts you can point me towards? Jr's book was transformative for me as a hitter. While I try to not give too much direction to my 9 year old, when I do, it is going back to the principles in that book.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
How do you teach the solid top hand path? Are there specific drills or posts you can point me towards? Jr's book was transformative for me as a hitter. While I try to not give too much direction to my 9 year old, when I do, it is going back to the principles in that book.

Yes, I have two drills that I use for hand-path work. Busy with hitters for most of today, but if possible I'll explain one of he more productive approaches I use tonight.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
tumblr_pd80aaRyNj1usf292o1_400.gif

tumblr_pepmhylO4C1usf292o1_400.gif

Thank you. I think I get it. But a little more explanation could help. Where is the corner?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thank you. I think I get it. But a little more explanation could help. Where is the corner?

I am short on time, so I will give an abbreviated description without video.

Basically the drill is a check-swing to the position of the RVP connection point position ... having the hands, rear shoulder, rear elbow and rear hip all in the same plane... with the rear arm in an upright Vee orientation.

In addition to having the correct hand path you want to confirm that the hitter got under it ... as opposed to having bled the corner. My preference there is to get a feel of the lower rear back getting under the shaft. Go back to the video I showed of TM working with an adult student on the rear lower back stretch. You need that to avoid bleeding the corner.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles