me pitching, 1993 (21 yrs old)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
I'm sort of astounded by all the questions I got via PM's. Here are some of the answers...

1. Why am I seen "adjusting my belt so much"? this was a very astute observation (Well done!!) Back then, long before the advent of Gorilla Gold grip enhancer, we used "firm grip" to assist with spin and overall grip. Umpires didn't really care, the other teams wouldn't dare say anything or else their pitcher would be subjected to search also, so the unspoken rule was... "just don't make it obvious". Some guys put it on their glove strings and it just looked like they were tightening their gloves, others would put it on the heel of the glove and look as though they are wiping dirt off the ball, and others would put the firm grip on the catcher's shin guards where he would touch with the ball before being thrown back to the pitcher. I never liked that one much, unless I needed to use it because the catcher couldn't touch his guard if the ball came back to me after a hit. So, I kept mine right inside my belt line. It messed up my shirt and pants badly but, the best thing for removing stains and crud from ball gear is car brake cleaner. So it came right off.

2. Yes, even though that was nearly 25 years ago I can remember that game vividly... why I remember that one vs. most others... I don't know. I guess some games stick with you. I can tell you that the first batter I faced who lined into a double play hit a poorly executed change up. I can remember letting go of that pitch and cringing. On the guy who got the base hit off me in the last inning, I thought I had him K'd on a low rise outside on the pitch before. You can see me turning and laughing because of something my shortstop yelled to the umpire. Since this is a family show, I won't divulge it but between getting squeezed and loss of concentration from laughing, I immediately gave up a hit. Now... Adam Smith was their #2 hitter and one of the world's best so... it's no shame in giving up a hit to him. But it taught me a lesson about concentrating, even with a large lead. I got a riseball past him a pitch or 2 before, throwing up and in. NORMALLY the golden rule is NO RISEBALLS when we have a lead past the 6th inning... keep it down and in the park. But, with 4 run lead, a 1 or 2 run HR wouldn't have been the end of the world. If we'd have been winning 4-3... I wouldn't have thrown a single rise in the 7th.

The commentators were more biased than Fox News or MSNBC. But, they had every right. Toronto was thought to be unbeatable with their full roster and they had everyone there. That entire team was either a current or former member of Team Canada in the previous year (1992's) ISF World, where they beat New Zealand in the final.

3. My catcher told me when I came in we are going to work the lefties away and the righties inside. This was due to configuration of the field which had a deep left field.

4. A lot of people asked about why I didn't start... as I mentioned, I threw the previous game and it was well over 100 degrees that day... THAT I remember well. I wasn't even on the bench before I came in, except on occasion to grab water or something.. I stayed under a tree. Our manager, who was both a player and manager for Team USA, held the philosophy that the semi final was the biggest game which is why I threw that one. If we don't win the Semi... we don't go to the final. Saving a pitcher for the final loses more teams tournaments than anything. The thought process was, if we win the semi final (we did, 4-0) then we are going to face the worlds #1 pitcher and one of the top 3 teams in the world in championship... they had us out gunned 10-1 everywhere but he just wanted a "puncher's chance" and it payed off.

5. Yes, what I wrote and was spoken was not mistaken, first prize was $6,000. Today that'd be like 10K for first prize. That was the biggest payday tournament in North America and most men's tournaments have a prize money attached.

6. Several recognized Mike Larabee from his NCAA coaching but, it should also be noted that Pete Turner also coaches D1 (San Jose St) and was the US men's coach for quite a few years. Pete started the last inning rally with a hit. Larabee is now at Central Washington after leaving Arkansas. I think a few other guys had college jobs too but, I don't know where. Probably in the pacific NW area. Catcher Todd Garcia was married to Dee Dee Weiman for many years (I maybe mispelling her last name) but I think she pitched at UCLA, or somewhere in California.

7. I have no idea how fast Zack or myself threw... he was faster. Much faster with amazing movement and change ups (multiple change ups) that were jaw dropping and that made him look even faster. A month later, Toronto went on to beat defending world champs (from Sioux City IA) at the world tournament, then went on to win 2nd place in 1994 and win again in 1995. He still pitches to this day but in the master's division (50 yrs and older) and usually wins that tournament. That same year we, Seattle, lost to defending world champs Sioux City 3-1, my first encounter with Mike White pitching against him. I don't remember our 2nd loss.

Bill

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
That cutter is sick! Would love to see that from behind the catcher's left shoulder!

PC,
Hope you're making gifs for the other pitches!

Be Glad to Ken. Post the times on the clip you want.... :cool:

EP: North-South-East-West Strikes.... Love to put a Strike Zone Box over a bad call he's talking about... & please find that "cutter" :cool:

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
Please only post the pitches unhit, swung and missed or where ump screwed me!!!��

Bill
The cutter is what Sarah now throws....in the women's game I call it a screwdrop. About 6 six years ago she tore the tendons/ligaments in her throwing index finger which has had long lingering affects on her riseball and curveball which used to be her signature pitches. She kind of had to reinvent herself.....so we worked on this screwdrop, and also got the dropball and change up much more involved in her game.
When this cutter/screwdrop is located low in the zone it is a real thumb breaker for the catcher....crazy movement.
Thanks for the neat post.

Cutter?.......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
c.king01