mddlsamaid support group

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2008
Welcome to the first ever meeting of the:
"My Daughter Doesnt Love Softball As Much As I Do" support group.

Hello my name is Mike and my daughter doesnt love softball anymore. If I'm being honest I kind of knew it last year but she wouldnt admit it. The first game of fall ball she didnt smile one time and on the way home said she doesnt want to play next spring. It was like a giant weight had been lifted off her tiny 12 yo shoulders. Her heart is set on other things. Someone on here once wrote that if your daughter doesnt initiate extra practice, if you have to make deals to get her to practice then she might be in the wrong sport. How true that is. As I said, I figured this out on my own last year and started looking at what I percieved to be many young tortured souls playing for there parents. I didnt want to be that guy. It sucks to see a talented kid lose interest but its not my decision, we just smiled and told her to finish fall ball and we will move on. Youth goes by to fast to do something your not in love with.

I have met the nicest people, and the worst people through softball. Not sure what that has to do with anything but thought I would throw it in there.

Mike

p.s.
Anyway this board has been outstanding, thanks to all who have helped. We have no regrets, as Neil Young said "its better to burn out than to fade away"

Aug 16, 2010
Mike:
In todays fix it fast, take a pill and technology-laden world there are solutions available:
1) Rent a kid;
2) Softballagra;
3) Implant a chip in her brain.
However, if you are a more traditional guy - enjoy your kid in whatever she pursues. Many kids come charging back to softball after a break when they realize just how much they miss the game, miss their teammates and the time they spent with their Dad doing something other than listening to him say "No, because I said so." I've said this before - there are very few things that a Dad and his Daughters can truly enjoy together with equal passion and interest. SB is one of those things and I cherish the time I get to spend with my girls doing it, watching others do it, talking about it and of course, SPENDING $$$$$ ON IT. Either way, don't keep your knowledge and passion for the game to yourself - if circumstances allow - volunteer your services with rec or school teams.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Mike, there is a whole world out there called slow pitch. And if you think that fast pitch people can get into their sport, just wait until you meet these guys. The bats are just as expensive, but, now they would be for you.

You can go as competitive as you want. I chose a team that flew to top tourneys.

Also, their message board is very active. Go for it. Amy

Feb 24, 2010
Did you ask her why she wanted to stop playing? There may be something simple that she doesn't know how to handle yet at her age that a simple discussion wouldn't cure. I know you said you saw it on her face last season, so it may be something too large that a simple conversation could fix, but it may be worth a shot.

DD last spring came to me and said she was done too. I asked her why, and she said it was because of one of the ASSistant coaches. We talked about it and she eventually learned why the ASSistant coach was the way he was, as well as realizing that this year he would be staying down with his DD at the 10U whereas she was moving up and he would no longer be her coach. Her attitude changed immediately. And it turns out that she wasn't the only player who had this issue with the ASSistant.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06