Mask Watch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
I'll be honest I still haves a visceral reaction to them. They look terrible to me. But I know that's irrational.

I don't personally pitch with one but after almost taking one to the face last season I've been considering it. They're slowly starting to become more common in Australia.

Feb 24, 2012
Finally found her.

Minnesota Gophers

26 Richardson, Kaitlyn Utility L/R JR Phoenix, Ariz. (Sandra Day O'Connor HS)

kaitlyn_richardson_gophers1_zpsc52e6286.png

kaitlyn_richardson_gophers2_zps9e52a0f5.png

Coaches decision!!!! They said she had broken her nose 4 times in a year (not all softball related) and Coach Allister told her she must wear it.

Jan 24, 2012
I believe I heard that the first "cup" protector was invented by a hockey player in 1874 and the facemask was first worn about a hundred years later. Shows where our priorities are. (info not verified)

Oct 10, 2011
Did anyone hear what the announcer said about Kelsey Nunley wearing a mask? Something about starting to wear it at a young age after being hit at shortstop- but only being hit once since then and it was recently in the face at (regionals??) I only caught part of the conversation...didn't know her take on the issue.

Jun 7, 2013
Kind of amalgamating the previous couple threads, I've never been hit by a ball (you know where) but I do wear that cup. Not much reason not to.

Jun 18, 2010
University of Kentucky

26 Stephanie Martino Infield/Outfield R/R SO/1VL Glen Gardner, N.J./Voorhees Regional HS

Steph_Martino_zps7d33d954.png

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
i have a mask story. last summer my youngest dd decided she didn't need to wear a mask anymore. she was playing with my middle dd on a u18 team. we were at a tourney in montreal playing a team from new hampshire i think, in a pool game that was late because of rain. middle dd was pitching, youngest dd was 3b. first pitch of game batter fakes a bunt, youngest dd moves in, next pitch is crushed off her forehead in milliseconds. she wasn't knocked out but had trouble getting her breath back. i was terrified walking onto the field. hit her in the best spot, right in center of forehead. she is fine now, but it was a long night in the hospital. game is delayed for about an hour til we get away in ambulance then the other coach comes over and says he understands if our team does not want to finish game but, he needs a win. our coach talks to team, they are very upset want to go back to hotel etc., my middle dd rallys them and says she wants to play, so game continues. she is still pitching and they get down by 5 runs before coming back to win. in the middle of the game may flies start to come out by the thousands and are all over everything. middle dd had to pitch with mouth closed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619