Mask Watch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
For what it's worth, here's an advertisement for a "no masks allowed" clinic that was held in our area last fall:

Georgetown University Asst Coach Erica Ayers leading Throwing/Fielding Clinics

Throwing and Fielding Clinics will take place at the Pure Performance facility on Tuesdays from 6-7pm (11-12yr old) and 7-8pm (8-10yr old) from Sept 24th - Oct 22nd. These 5 week defensive clinics are designed first and foremost to BUILD CONFIDENCE in the players ability to catch and throw the softball. Skill level of the player will determine the drills, but the goal is to improve the balance, efficiency, momentum and ease with which young players play defense. Each session will include drills to develop quick balanced feet, soft hands and smooth transitions into throwing. Special note: Infielders will NOT be allowed to wear masks during these sessions. Only 6 players allowed per clinic.

I would love to see the insurance waiver for that one. If this clinic is not sanctioned by Georgetown University (and its associated insurance riders for employees acting in the school's name), she shouldn't be using her official title...JMHO...

And one more thing...she's an idiot...

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I remember a short while back someone posted a link to an article she wrote about masks being for losers. basically saying you don't need a mask if you know how to play.

Georgetown is always such a powerhouse - have they ever broken .500? well that doesn't matter, the point is they don't need masks!

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Went to the Long Beach State vs San Jose State game yesterday at USD...second pitcher for Long Beach State wears a mask...sorry don't have a photo...but DD went to their camp and LBS coach Kim Sowder is about as old school as you can get...no issues with players wearing masks as far as I've been told...

Dec 29, 2010
Mask or no mask? Numerous threads about the subject. Until you witness it first hand or seen an ambulance pulling up to an adjacent field at a tourny you will change your mind about your dd wearing one. Especially for a pitcher and/or infield. Off my soapbox, left 2 cents.

May 8, 2012
NJ
Last year playing as 2nd yr 12u b, we faced a 2nd yr 10u a team. Pitcher didnt have a mask, and from the start I felt kinda uneasy about it. About 3rd inning pitch right down the middle to our 4 hole hitter...screamer right back at the pitchers head. I was standing 3rd base side; never saw the pitcher get her glove up, but she did. The force of the ball hitting the back of her glove and driving into her face dropped her like a sack in the circle. Thankfully, after about 10min she got up and left the field. WORST feeling ever. I can only say thank god she was at least able to get her glove up to protect herself. It was a 12u tourney...im not sure why anyone would send that young girl into that situation without a mask.

Jun 18, 2010
Eastern Kentucky

Leanna Pittsenbarger P R/R 5-8 Jr. Urbana, Ohio (Urbana HS)

leanna_pittsenbarger_eku_zps419115e4.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207