Lumbar Spine Stress Fracture

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
My DD has been diagnosed with a lumbar spine stress fracture. She will have an MRI in the coming days to confirm the diagnosis, but the Ortho felt pretty confident based on her history and the x-ray. Looking at six weeks of total shut down and a back brace and then probably six weeks of rehab. Obviously, she is bummed that she is probably looking at missing the entire fall ball season and her school golf season. I'm disappointed because we have tried to give her rest and make sure she's playing more than just softball but still had an overuse injury occur.

From my reading, this seems like a fairly common injury for young girls. Does anyone out there have any experience with this? I'd take some comfort in hearing your stories and what to expect.

Thanks.

Aug 2, 2016
My No. 1 pitcher was diagnosed with the same thing after school ball this past season. Similar treatment. 4-6 week of no activity and a back brace. She started pitching on my summer team about midway through the season. We eased her back in based on pitch count in 25% increments. She was completely fine. She complained about lower back stiffness, but not pain like she had felt prior to the time off. She ended the season pitching 5 out of 6 games we had in our final tournament. We were constantly checking with her and her parents about pain levels and pitching time. It was all good!

Aug 18, 2013
My DD was diagnosed with PARS fracture back in February and we are still trying to get back. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Everyones case will be different depending on how far the break has separated and if its on one or both sides. She was in a brace for 6 weeks, but was still feeling pain after the brace came off. We have been through 4 months of PT. Couple of weeks ago we had our last X-ray and the break was completely healed.

She missed all of the tryouts, but we are looking for her to be completely back by the start of high school ball next year. Still taking baby steps, but she not feeling pain after our throwing sessions. We have not started batting yet or full motion pitching. Just going threw the IR progression drills and working on BI and spins.

Good luck to you and your DD and quick healing.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
I posted about my daughter's journey with this.
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/showthread.php?t=23401

Feel free to PM. I will give you my email, can help as much as I can. Sorry about what your dd is going through. It's awful, and the mental aspects of their healing are almost as difficult as the physical. 😢

And if you Google search Amanda Scarborough and pars fracture, you will see that she's posted about it and gotten tons of feedback from parents. Facebook post, lots of other kids who have dealt with it. It's sad how common it is. 😣

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA