Low tech devices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I talked with Jack Mankin and he said a 40 pnd bag was okay, and then I checked the height of the 40 and 70 pnd bags, the 70 pnd bag was 1 ft taller. He asked me the height and I didn't know. The 40 pnd bag was 32 inches tall and the 70 pnd bag was 43.5 inches tall. Jack said the bag should be around 40 inches tall. So I cancelled my order and will wait for the 70 pnd bag which costs the same. I'm sure the 70 pnd bag will take more abuse anyways. So if anyone is looking for a bag, check the height. ;)

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I guess. You're adding ounces out at the end of the bat. It's going to make your bat not feel like your bat. That said, I guess it's all in the instruction that goes along with it. If it helps you help a hitter improve her swing, it's all good.

Maybe a few ounces, for the ball holder. The ball is just a tennis ball, so the weight isn't very much. I guess the device will add a few ounces.

Dec 11, 2010
I talked with Jack Mankin and he said a 40 pnd bag was okay, and then I checked the height of the 40 and 70 pnd bags, the 70 pnd bag was 1 ft taller. He asked me the height and I didn't know. The 40 pnd bag was 32 inches tall and the 70 pnd bag was 43.5 inches tall. Jack said the bag should be around 40 inches tall. So I cancelled my order and will wait for the 70 pnd bag which costs the same. I'm sure the 70 pnd bag will take more abuse anyways. So if anyone is looking for a bag, check the height. ;)

We hit a heavy bag as a warmup with a Swing Mechanic bat. We started out years ago just going to contact because I read about all the fretting people do about injury. Now we hit the d@)s’#&% out of that thing just inside the front foot. Usually hit about six-eight balls off a tee with the Swing Mechanic after that.

I have an assortment of Pro-Cut knob weights. 9, 12 and 16 ounces I believe. They don’t make them any more, they attach to the knob. I’m generally against bat weights but I like these. If you set up an eBay search, they show up there every once in awhile. We use these some in off season. I mix and match, maybe do a set or two of 12 balls per week with these. This is a good thing that can be overdone. If they were still in business I’d try to special order a 5 ounce weight.

Louisville Slugger wood bats to hit self tossed baseballs. You gotta teach them to keep the trademark up or down and hit on the edge grain or they will break bats. Self toss is a great drill. I don’t know why we do it with wood bats. If I had a reason I forgot it.

I have some Pro-Hammer bats. I alternate the fastpitch model which simulates -11 and the baseball which is -3 to get some overload/underload effect. If you can find the old ones with the aluminum handles on eBay in the size you need, buy it. They are indestructible. The new models have a fiberglass handle. They are ok, especially if you only have a couple kids hitting them.

Insider bats. For tee work (line the hitters belt buckle up on tee) and for the Manny Drill.

A bucket full of bats to throw across the yard. (I should do this more.)

I accumulated all this junk over the years along with other stuff. As you can see, a lot of it has a “heavier than gamebat” theme. I think you have to be REALLY careful with that. I’m talking 12-15 swings a session. Most dads, even the ones that aren’t knuckle draggers, worry way too much about “making them stronger”. That isn’t what it’s about in my opinion. It’s about different feels, feeling your whole body move, starting from a position where you can get the bat moving as fast as possible as early in the swing as possible.

When you look at my above list, you might get the impression we use all of them constantly. I don’t. Not one of those things is “must have”. If I was starting out again, the top of my shopping list would be 1) 3-4 buckets of softballs 2) front toss screen 3) Tanner tee. 4) cheap home batting cage if I had a place for it

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
midwest
All kinds of things over the years.....most just to have a station that is a changed for them when working with multible players. Seldom use any... with one on one.

One low tech that i still use in both situations is a rope thru a 12 in wiffle ball. Just clipped to the fence/pole at various heights, with a knot in the rope where I want the ball to start and a throw down plate. Working hand path, barrel path, hi/lo, in/out, long in the contact zone with mechanics ect.

I do slow mo up to half speed swings and will have stop check points so they understand some things. To me it adds the components to dry swings that dry swings is missing and helps them get a better understanding.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Guys,

What is the deal with the Insider bat? I'm not sure what it helps. I've looked at them before and tried to get some info on them. I don't understand how or what it works on besides getting the hands ahead of the Insider bat contact/barrel area.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I used to get into all these sorts of things but over the years it has simplified down to Bownets, tanner tees, a bucket of balls and video to review on a cell phone. 99% of these gadgets are stupid, worthless or in some cases encourage poor technique.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13