Louisville Pitcher Megan Hensley takes hard shot in the circle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
The point of the mask is to keep the player in the game. Masks are very good at preventing shattered orbital bones, busted mouths and broken noses. If the mask is V-shaped they will also redirect the impact away from the face, which will most certainly prevent a concussion.

Masks work great against the things you mentioned. I was only speaking to concussions. Masks of any shape won’t stop the head from snapping back and rattling the brain around. If a player takes a shot to the face or head they should be pulled and thoroughly checked for concussion symptoms.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Masks work great against the things you mentioned. I was only speaking to concussions. Masks of any shape won’t stop the head from snapping back and rattling the brain around. If a player takes a shot to the face or head they should be pulled and thoroughly checked for concussion symptoms.

I agree, pull the player after taking a line drive to the face.

I disagree that masks don't help to prevent concussions. Masks help prevent concussions the same way that helmets help prevent concussions, absorbing direct hits and deflecting glancing shots. Masks also deflect balls that would be a direct hit to the head. Masks undoubtedly help to prevent concussions.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
A girl we know in 12U was pitching and wearing a mask and got hit in the mask. She was out 2 weeks with a concussion. Masks save teeth and bones. They don't prevent concussions.

Jun 18, 2010
Masks save teeth and bones. They don't prevent concussions.

Masks don't FULLY PREVENT concussions. The keyword being FULLY. However, if you believe a mask can disperse the force of impact, then it could be concluded that a mask could minimize the number and the severity of concussions.

NFL Football helmets do not FULLY prevent concussions, but I'm certain they mitigate concussions by dispersing the force of the impact.

Jul 14, 2010
Watched it happen and the replays - I don't recall seeing a visor... yes, I too believe she should have been pulled and was curious about the continued play by ND. What really got us was the COMMENTARY - all praise for her toughing it out. Going on and on... no discussion about concussion protocol or that it was even an option. They discussed the emotional repercussions and fear of getting back in the circle and while she walked the next batter the fear of throwing a pitch across the plate. All praise for the suck it up - maybe one comment slid in there about concussion evaluation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 18, 2010
Watched it happen and the replays - I don't recall seeing a visor... yes, I too believe she should have been pulled and was curious about the continued play by ND. What really got us was the COMMENTARY - all praise for her toughing it out. Going on and on... no discussion about concussion protocol or that it was even an option. They discussed the emotional repercussions and fear of getting back in the circle and while she walked the next batter the fear of throwing a pitch across the plate. All praise for the suck it up - maybe one comment slid in there about concussion evaluation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's wearing a visor...

Nov 18, 2013
I agree, pull the player after taking a line drive to the face.

I have to disagree that masks don't help to prevent concussions. Masks help prevent concussions the same way that helmets help prevent concussions, absorbing direct hits and deflecting glancing shots. Masks also deflect balls that would be a direct hit to the head. Masks undoubtedly help to prevent concussions.

I'll have to start with :sarcasm font: My reasoning has nothing to do with a person getting a concussion even though they were wearing a mask. :sarcasm font: I don't think we're to the point where they undoubtedly will help. Fielders masks help prevent a wide variety of injuries. I don’t believe concussions are one of them. Nobody knows their fail point or how much of an impact they’ll absorb. The ones I’ve seen don’t have the weight or padding to prevent the head from snapping back, which is what causes concussions and not the blow itself. My fear are parents or coaches assuming they don’t need to worry about a concussion because there’s no visible injuries and they believe the mask absorbed the impact.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I'll have to start with :sarcasm font: My reasoning has nothing to do with a person getting a concussion even though they were wearing a mask. :sarcasm font: I don't think we're to the point where they undoubtedly will help. Fielders masks help prevent a wide variety of injuries. I don’t believe concussions are one of them. Nobody knows their fail point or how much of an impact they’ll absorb. The ones I’ve seen don’t have the weight or padding to prevent the head from snapping back, which is what causes concussions and not the blow itself. My fear are parents or coaches assuming they don’t need to worry about a concussion because there’s no visible injuries and they believe the mask absorbed the impact.
So fielders masks won't cure cancer or ensure world peace???

ian

Jun 11, 2015

Concussions are very harmful. DD played with a pitcher who took one off the head and she has had a very hard time recovering. She has continued to pitch well but battles extreme headaches, light sensitivity and other post concussion symptoms. Your fear is valid. My fear is that parents and coaches would read your false statement "masks do nothing to prevent concussions" and believe it. What causes concussions is the brain bouncing off the inside of the skull, masks help prevent this in two ways, one by absorbing the blow and two by deflecting the impact. Concussions can and do happen when a player is wearing a mask, but masks can and do prevent concussions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207