Louisville Pitcher Megan Hensley takes hard shot in the circle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
DD1's teams SS got hit in the face with a thrown ball on Friday. She just plain missed it. She stayed in the game but failed the concussion test the next day so had to sit out Saturday games. Getting hit in the head is way different than getting hit in the thigh or knee. Head you are coming out, knee or thigh if you can still walk, you are still in.......

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
DD1's teams SS got hit in the face with a thrown ball on Friday. She just plain missed it. She stayed in the game but failed the concussion test the next day so had to sit out Saturday games. Getting hit in the head is way different than getting hit in the thigh or knee. Head you are coming out, knee or thigh if you can still walk, you are still in.......

Saw this happen in the NJCAA semi finals 2 years ago with my DD in the circle. Opposing teams SS injured her leg was able to walk so like a stud she stayed in the game. Chipola immediately went at her with small ball and aggressive base running. After Chiploa plated some runs the other coached figured out she was a liability and yanked her. It was the turning point of the game. They went home and Chiploa won it all. :)

Sep 6, 2015
I agree with everything posted, she should have been taken out immediately. But a different question; what are your thoughts about ND continuing the play and scoring? I know it's different than TB, our hitters have hit opposing pitchers with similar shots and we stop our runners at the base so the player can be assisted as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Like all sports you go full out until the official stops you. I have seen umpires immediately kill the play, and I have also seen them let it play out. Would never consider questioning their decision either way.

Feb 7, 2014
In regards to the Louisville coach's judgement... I've been to a number of camps watching DD. Some good - some not so good, but never felt like DD was treated more like 'a piece of meat' than at Louisville's camps. Most of the ones I was a witness to were actually run by the assistant at the time, Carol Bruggerman, the current director of the NFCA.

The athletic director seems to have a history of hiring coaches with questionable judgement (Petino, Petrino).

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Yikes! Glad it didn't turn our worse. FWIW masks are virtually worthless against preventing concussions and mask or no mask she should have been pulled after a shot like that.

The point of the mask is to keep the player in the game. Masks are very good at preventing shattered orbital bones, busted mouths and broken noses. If the mask is V-shaped they will also redirect the impact away from the face, which will most certainly prevent a concussion.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
It reminded me of when the little leaguer Braydon Salzman took a linedrive off the bill of his cap.

The 3rd baseman on DD'S team had this happen to her. Down 13 runs against a team that didn't bunt once, coach had her playing way in. She had no time to react but luckly the ball hit square on the visor, a miracle. She stayed in the game but was pulled the next inning because she took one off the thigh.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
Saw an interesting defensive shift that put 2 fielders in harms way in DD1 extra inning game. 2 outs, runners on 2nd and 3rd. Our batter being intentionally walked. RF and SS came in about 10 ft. from the catcher. I think they were brought in to chase down a passed ball. On 3rd pitchout the pitcher left it fat and our batter swung. RF and SS bailed for foul territory. The remaining 2 outfielders were playing in LC and RC at the track. LF caught it right before the wall in centerfield. Sure there was a pucker factor by SS and RF. We ended up winning in 12 innings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207