lost in bat terminology please help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
The bat warmers are necessary if you're using a composite in under 60 degree weather. If you're playing in California, you just leave them in the sun.

-W

Apr 1, 2010
Tiny fractures occur in the interior of composite bats when the ball is hit, eventually the bat gets “hotter”. Rolling a bat produces these fractures without having to hit the ball. It is cheap to do but the Player is better of just practicing with the bat and you will have the same effect on the bat but the Player will be able to hit the ball.

I agree completely. It's not that hard for a girl to get a tee and a bucket of balls and break in her own dang bat. Not only is that not considered cheating, it's good for her. If your daughter is too lazy to hit a couple hundred balls, then you shouldn't be trying to circumvent the rules to make up for it, you should be asking her if she really wants to play softball. JMO.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
One of the arguments that I hear are mid season breaks/dents/lost/stolen bats. You've spent time getting the 100-200 hits to get the bat broke in and now your hot n heavy in travel ball and the bat breaks. Their argument is: I'm just replacing one broke in bat with another, rolling the new one to make it as hot as the old one............instantly.

I'm not saying they are right in the justification, but in theory it sounds decent. And we use RT's, rolling will do little or nothing, and shaving is useless.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
Rolling the bat will make it hotter than just hitting. Somewhere there is a study about accelerated break in procedures. Someone on this board posted it a while back, I can't find it.

May 17, 2012
100-200 hits is 5-10 buckets of balls. What is that, 2 sessions of bp? Lame argument.

-W

Bat rolling is not the same as hitting 5-10 buckets of balls.

I have hit a rolled bat in practice and the best way to describe it is that it has no deads spots, the whole barrel is one big sweet spot.

Again I would not use one in a game nor would I let my DD.

"Rolling is a more gradual and safer way to break in a bat than simply going out and hitting balls. When a bat is rolled correctly, it is initially rolled at a very light pressure to stretch out the bats clearcoat, paint and fibers. Then, the pressure is increased to accomplish a deeper break in of the fibers. This is in stark contrast to the shock the bat’s clearcoat, paint and fibers undergo when the bat is immediately subjected to going out and trying to break it in by hitting balls. "

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I've hit with a rolled bat, really couldn't tell much difference than with a composite with 400 hits or so.

I've also hit with a shaved bat in a homerun derby, those things are hot as hell and would be deadly with players on the field.

Along with the argument, I always tell folks that as the father of a pitcher I'd rather they break the bat in the old fashion way. Rolling or BCT may or may not make it any more explosive than time used, but if someone got hurt that's the first thing I might blame it on.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
"Rolling is a more gradual and safer way to break in a bat than simply going out and hitting balls. When a bat is rolled correctly, it is initially rolled at a very light pressure to stretch out the bats clearcoat, paint and fibers. Then, the pressure is increased to accomplish a deeper break in of the fibers. This is in stark contrast to the shock the bat’s clearcoat, paint and fibers undergo when the bat is immediately subjected to going out and trying to break it in by hitting balls. "

I don't necessarily agree with this. Bats are made and anticipated to break down in a certain manner, through standard use. The bats are not made for the circumference of the barrel to be compressed simultaneously. While it may accelerate the break-in period of the bat, it supposedly cuts the active life of the bat in nealy half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jovet218