Losing the love?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2012
We've been doing this crazy travel ball thing for 7rs now. I LOVE watching my girls play. Despite my love and pride in watching them, I'm kind of over the madness. The travel, the endless weekends of not being at home, hotel stays, eating out, the general expense. As we gear up for a new season I find myself far less excited than I was a few years ago. I'll keep plugging away and I know once the season gets going I'll be on board again. It's just so daunting. Thanks for being an outlet for a little whining. Better get to the garage and start dragging out the pop up tents and coolers.;)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The travel, the endless weekends of not being at home, hotel stays, eating out, the general expense. As we gear up for a new season I find myself far less excited than I was a few years ago. I'll keep plugging away and I know once the season gets going I'll be on board again. It's just so daunting.

Natural reaction. The games are fun, but there is a tremendous amount of wasted time.

You might want to consider skipping some weekend tournaments. In the long run, it is in your DD's best interests to play games without you around.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
For both DD 1 and DD 3, the tournaments were generally pretty close. If not the same county, no more than two counties over. That made a big difference, compared to DS and his rowing regattas. Sure, it can be nice to travel to some new place and do some sightseeing when your kid isn't playing, but that can wear thin if you have already been there, or if there simply isn't any sightseeing to do.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We've been doing this crazy travel ball thing for 7rs now. I LOVE watching my girls play. Despite my love and pride in watching them, I'm kind of over the madness. The travel, the endless weekends of not being at home, hotel stays, eating out, the general expense. As we gear up for a new season I find myself far less excited than I was a few years ago. I'll keep plugging away and I know once the season gets going I'll be on board again. It's just so daunting. Thanks for being an outlet for a little whining. Better get to the garage and start dragging out the pop up tents and coolers.;)
I would give anything to be able to do that again. I only have one dd. So, I'm done and really missing it.

Nov 29, 2009

Travel, high-level HS and college can be a grind. It does get easier as they get older. By the time they are done with travel you'll have figured out that most of the paraphernalia you brought along to the games was not needed and you learn to pack more efficiently.

HS does not have enough games to need to drag all kinds of junk along. The games are usually closer to home against opponents in the same area.

When you get to college it's even easier. For the most part you bring your chair, cooler and umbrella if you need one. But the travel times for college do get longer. It was great for me to be just another parent in the stands to watch the good, bad and everything in between.

I've been through all of it and then coached younger teams with no player on the team for another 10 years up until last year when circumstances dictated differently. What I found was I didn't miss it like I thought I would. I've had a dozen people ask me to coach again for the 2016 season. For myself the desire is not there so I didn't pursue it. I've helped out a few teams over the winter on occasion, but nothing officially as a team coach.

It goes by in a flash. I can still remember the first games in rec ball and the last pitch she threw in college. The years between went by so fast she was finished before I knew what happened. Enjoy it while you can. The memories you'll have will last a lifetime. Don't be in a hurry to get there. Don't dread the journey because it's tough. The finish line is worth it. When you're holding your DD and she's crying on your shoulder because she just played the last game of her career none of it will matter.

Good luck to your DD and I hope she has a stellar career.

Nov 29, 2009
I would give anything to be able to do that again. I only have one dd. So, I'm done and really missing it.

Amen to that!!!! It was fun watching my DD have many, many more success than failures on the field.

If you REALLY have the itch to be near a field still. Go and coach a younger team with your DD. I had a blast with mine doing it. You'll learn a lot about yourself.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Amen to that!!!! It was fun watching my DD have many, many more success than failures on the field.

If you REALLY have the itch to be near a field still. Go and coach a younger team with your DD. I had a blast with mine doing it. You'll learn a lot about yourself.

I am coaching at the HS again. I also coached all winter long assisting her with her 12U Team.

Oct 2, 2012
Thanks for the responses. My hesitation isn't because I don't love the sport. New season new adventures!

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
We are taking a step back this summer. Her team is in their second year of 12's and the way things are in the Alabama now we are scheduled for only two tourneys in the state because of competition levels. Two of those weeks will be spent in KC and Salem, Va. We made the decision to take a break and play for a local 14U team which will make this summer much easier. It will let her manage travel ball with school workouts for softball, v-ball, and b-ball without being exhausted.

She is 100% set on playing in college and puts the work in to make it happen. I understand the committment it will take as she gets a little older so I want her to really enjoy this summer without the pressure. In the fall we will jump back into the world of high level "A" ball as she ages up to 14's.

Did I mention this also means we will have an actual family vacation this year? We have done a three day cruise with the girls but we will actually get a week of travel that is not softball related!