Losing the love?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 27, 2015
My thought is that there is more to life then ball. If you are missing precious moments because of it I'd consider missing some ball. If you are just busy it will be worth it when looking back. Take lots of pictures and videos. :)

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
I have to say, I kinda agree with the OP. Yes I know if goes fast, and yes once DD is done with softball, I know I will miss it. I missed it when DD had to sit out a year for spinal fusion. That being said, by the time the fall/winter tournaments and indoor league were over, I was glad to have some time away from the field. Now two weeks into DDs first year of playing high school ball, and I am kind of "softballed out". DD has an away game this Friday, about 35-40 minute drive from home, and I am actually contemplating skipping it.

Dec 28, 2011
I have to say, I kinda agree with the OP. Yes I know if goes fast, and yes once DD is done with softball, I know I will miss it. I missed it when DD had to sit out a year for spinal fusion. That being said, by the time the fall/winter tournaments and indoor league were over, I was glad to have some time away from the field. Now two weeks into DDs first year of playing high school ball, and I am kind of "softballed out". DD has an away game this Friday, about 35-40 minute drive from home, and I am actually contemplating skipping it.

I have been a softball mom for 10 years now, DD being a high school sophomore. Just this hs season, I have stayed home from a couple of out of town games, the first time I have ever missed seeing her play. She got to be with her team and be independent. I actually enjoyed my free time, and I think it was less pressure on her because mom and dad weren't there. (I don't think we are overbearing parents, but dad does get a bit critical if she has a bad game, wanting to "fix" it. Makes the rides home not so fun at times) She did text us that she missed us and wanted us there at one point, but did really enjoy the experience. This is a crazy, exhausting, life, but wouldn't have it any other way. We do get sad knowing that our softball journey is almost over. DD is our "baby"

Apr 25, 2010
My DD (16) hung up her travel ball cleats early last spring. When summer season rolled around, boy did I miss it. But then, as time went on, I missed it less. She subbed in one tournament for a friend's team and had fun, but was just burned out from being on the road since she was 10u. She wasn't sure she was going to play school ball this year, but ultimately decided to and is now loving it. I still miss it a bit, but at least there is still school ball. She just told me today that she's going to play this school season and next because who knows if she will have time to play as an adult. She had colleges interested, but decided she didn't want softball to be her "job". As much as I hated the decision at the time, I am proud of her. And I will sit back, relax, and watch some God awful school ball while loving watching my girl have fun.

That's my long way of saying, I totally understand how you feel. It is nice to reclaim your time and some of your money. I think I only miss it because it was our family's life for so many years. Every weekend, year round, there was something softball related.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I must admit, I kinda regret not having seen more of DD 1's softball games.

The summer after her 8th grade she was on a 14u rec ball team that was actually very good. The games were usually at times when I could see them, but if DD 1 and DD 3 were playing at the same time, DW got to see DD 1 play, and I got to see DD 3 playing 10u. Sorry, but 14u is more exciting than 10u. Esp. since DD 1 was a real base stealing whiz, while DD 3 wasn't allowed to steal in 10u (except for one road game I missed). I did see her fall 9th grade games (her team lost every game). I only saw a few of her HS Freshman team games. They only won 2 games, both in a different county, and I missed both of those games. Too many of her games interfered with my work, or picking DS up from his rowing practice, or I missed part of one game to help DD 3 practice pitching. So, DW got to see DD 1's first HR, and neither of us saw her second and final HR, on the road (both were in the park. DD 1 was a fast base runner). Her last game ever was a makeup for an out-of-town game that was rained out, and I missed the makeup. I did see her next-to-last game.

It was so much fun to watch DD 1 play. Not usually great competition, but she could hit, and she could steal, and that was fun to watch. Also, she was and still is my DD.

So, I really miss watching her play.

Yes, DD 3 is even more interesting to watch, because she pitches. Pitchers have more impact on the game than 3B, which was DD 1's normal position. (DD 3's TB team has her and another pitcher share P/3B most of the time, so 3B must run in the family. DD 3 is also the emergency catcher). Kind of sad that it's been almost 3 years since she played, and it was so much fun to watch her play and improve so quickly.

But, kids grow up, and they have minds of their own.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Well today is game day, and I have decided to make the drive and go watch DD play. I figure that I would regret it later if I don't. Once DD's ball playing days are over, there is no going back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors