Looking to play college softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 7, 2010
Huntsville Texas
Currently attending Sam Houston State University but still looking to play softball. I have made numerous efforts to contact the coach here at Sam but have had no luck. I have been trying since the beginning of this year to get on a softball team anywhere. Had a couple of tryouts but was unable to attend because of High school graduation. Does anyone know of colleges or junior colleges holding tryouts soon? Also any good ideas on a skill video? Thank you in advance for your help.

Jul 9, 2010
A few more bits of info, like positions, how far away from home you might be willing to travel, desired major, etc, might be helpful. Also - presuming you are a 2010 HS grad?

Your skills video doesn't have to be too complicated. I filmed and edited my DD's - saved a bunch of money. They will want to see some hitting and position play, but effects like slo-mo, aren't necessary. College coaches are good enough to watch it in real time to evaluate your throwing motion, swing mechanics, and fielding technique.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM and I'll answer if I can. Best of luck.

Oct 7, 2010
Huntsville Texas
Thank you definitely helps out. I am a graduate of 2010. I'm willing to travel anywhere in texas but prefer not to go out of state. I would look into places in Oklahoma or Louisiana if needed to. My desired major is Criminal Justice.

Jun 16, 2010
Many schools already had fall tryouts and are beginning fall play now. Some do this before the semester starts. For some, you have to be already enrolled to tryout for a walk-on position. Some schools will invite players to practice with them to assess them, before encouraging them to attemp to walk on.

I think you will need to keep playing somehow, and contact schools you might want to attend, send coach a resume and skills video or link to one. If you write or email a coach and dont hear from them within 2-3 wks, CALL THEM. They will always be willing to talk to you on the phone. If they dont think you can play for them, ask them directly what schools they know of you might be able to play for. They will know many other coaches, its a small coaching world, and can open doors and get you noticed out of a crowd. Most coaches have coached at several schools while working their way into the positions they are in currently.

The Ronald McDonald tournament will be in Houston end of October, its a large showcase for that part of country. There is also a NFCA recruiting camp that goes with it. Investigate attending any camps like that you can to get in front of college coaches. I dont know your age, or if over 18 is excluded, sometimes there are special camps for JC players,etc too.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You are being pretty naive about this.

College coaches are paid to run these teams. They get fired if they don't win. So, they don't leave a lot to chance. By now, every roster spot on every softball team is filled. Plus, each coach has a depth chart, so they know who is going to move up if one of the players gets hurt. They already have identified 3 or 4 girls to put on the team in case of an emergency.

So, it is difficult to see how you are going to fit in with a team at this time. Your only hope would be to find a team where something disastrous happened and the coach has several slots to fill.

You might have a shot with a D3 school or a Community College to make the team. It is doubtful whether you will ever get any playing time with those teams.

So, carefully consider whether it makes sense to jump schools. Most likely, you aren't going to find a team. If you do find a team, you will most likely you will sit the bench.

Honestly, it probably isn't worth changing your entire college plans just to shag ground balls, ride a bus to some god forsaken dog run in the middle of nowhere and watch other kids play.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Ray, I disagree. It's all conditional, and depends on what kattel has to bring and what team needs are. I've seen plenty of D3 and NAIA schools that struggle to get good players. They wind up putting some kid out in the outfield who has never played there simply so there's someone out there. Or they make the best of what they have in other positions.

Sure, every college coach regardless of level would love to recruit a team full of studs, and then find their replacements every year. But it doesn't always work that way. It won't be an easy road, especially at this point, but that doesn't mean it can't be done -- assuming the player has the desire and skills to play.

Kattel, the thing you do want to keep in mind is don't just go to a college because you can play softball there. Be sure it's the right school for you, with the right degree programs, campus atmosphere, etc. Perhaps that's what Ray was trying to say. Once you're done playing softball there it's likely the end of the line. But it's just the start of your working life. Be sure the school is one that can prepare you for what you really want to do.

The lesson you will learn out of your attempt to find a school right now is persistence. Be sure your targets are broad enough and keep after them. If it doesn't happen this spring, reevaluate and adjust as-needed.

One thing I will tell you is if you're trying to contact the coach at a school you're attending, skip the emails and the phone calls. Go see him/her in person. Ask around the department to find out when he/she is usually in the office. Find out what the coach is looking for, and what needs you can fulfill (if any). You'll make much more of an impression by going in person than by hiding behind email.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
Ray, I disagree. It's all conditional, and depends on what kattel has to bring and what team needs are. I've seen plenty of D3 and NAIA schools that struggle to get good players. They wind up putting some kid out in the outfield who has never played there simply so there's someone out there. Or they make the best of what they have in other positions.

Sure, every college coach regardless of level would love to recruit a team full of studs, and then find their replacements every year. But it doesn't always work that way. It won't be an easy road, especially at this point, but that doesn't mean it can't be done -- assuming the player has the desire and skills to play.

Kattel, the thing you do want to keep in mind is don't just go to a college because you can play softball there. Be sure it's the right school for you, with the right degree programs, campus atmosphere, etc. Perhaps that's what Ray was trying to say. Once you're done playing softball there it's likely the end of the line. But it's just the start of your working life. Be sure the school is one that can prepare you for what you really want to do.

The lesson you will learn out of your attempt to find a school right now is persistence. Be sure your targets are broad enough and keep after them. If it doesn't happen this spring, reevaluate and adjust as-needed.

One thing I will tell you is if you're trying to contact the coach at a school you're attending, skip the emails and the phone calls. Go see him/her in person. Ask around the department to find out when he/she is usually in the office. Find out what the coach is looking for, and what needs you can fulfill (if any). You'll make much more of an impression by going in person than by hiding behind email.

Awesome advice. Softball should just be a tool to help you acheive your educational goals.

Oct 7, 2010
Huntsville Texas
Yes I know that I am late on trying to contact someone to play. It did not even occur to me that I had a chance until someone in my home town lined up tryouts for me cause he said he could not see my talent go to waste. All of these took place during my baccalaureate and graduation. Something that I just would not miss. I understand that by now I will only be either just practicing with a team or sitting the bench and that is perfectly fine. I know that I have the skills and dedication to win them over and win a spot for next season. I'm perfectly happy with bettering myself before bettering a team.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Kattel, Every so often college coaches contact me looking for a player or two. There were 2 recent colleges, one in Iowa and one in CA., but they are looking for pitchers.

What position do you play?

You absolutely could play in Jan., but it would mean going and living in say Central IL. and not knowing anyone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06