Looking to get DD a new bat.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2019
the waste was listening to people telling you to skip weights to save money...and sacrifice your dd hitting
with a bat way too heavy and big. I know it sucks to buy bats, but a bat that fits a kid right, is more valuable than gold when hitting.

You could also try a 2020 Power Carbon.
Do you think she would be ok with a 30/20?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 28, 2014
30/20 Carbon Candy can be had cheap right now. Or a used bat as mentioned earlier. That's the route I would go. Wouldn't spend too much on a bat for a 9 or 10 year old. You won't see the benefit.

Jun 24, 2019
My dd has a. Xeno 30/19 and a cf zen 30/19 both drop 11, and for some reason she likes the Xeno better, by the way forgot to mention she’s 9 yrs but can handle that bat pretty good.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
What makes you think it's too heavy. A 10 yo should be able to swing a 21 oz bat.

Is it the bat? Or is it her technique? Spend the $$$ in the right place.

Apr 20, 2015
What makes you think it's too heavy. A 10 yo should be able to swing a 21 oz bat.

Is it the bat? Or is it her technique? Spend the $$$ in the right place.
Depends on her size. Some 10yr old are full grown women and some are the size of your average kindergarten child. My very average sized child swung the 31/21 at 11yo and the 32/22 at 12yo and I think she will stay there until probably freshman year before we move to the 33. Doubt she will ever swing the 34 unless she's lucky enough to play in college and builds a tremendous amount of more muscle

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jul 1, 2019
That's the hardest part about this age range for girls, it's almost impossible to expect a bat to last more than a season with the way they hit growth spurts. My DD has been on the smaller side (5' and 83lbs), turning 12 at the end of the month.

This past winter we bought her a Ghost in 30/20 but it seemed to swing kinda heavy for her, we tried out a CF zen's and she loved it. Totally different results. We sold the Ghost and bought a new CF. It's been great for her all season, and after being her first, she's now a Demarini fan. Either way, last year a 30/20 would've been too big for her, and with the growth spurt she's in the middle of, I don't expect her current Zen to make it past this fall season. Buy a quality bat (or used) and take care of it, resell and put towards your next.

Check with some of the parents on your team (if you're in travel) and see if any of them have a bat their daughter is growing out of and are looking to sell. It's just part of what happens at this age range unless they hit that big growth spurt early and then slow way down. We're just not there yet.

I personally feel that buying too big of a bat trying to stretch it for a couple years will have more negative affect on you DD than making sure you've got exactly what she needs. Especially if you're playing in the upper levels of travel where pitching is really starting to develop in both much higher speeds and movement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softball_1