Looking to get DD a new bat.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2019
That's the hardest part about this age range for girls, it's almost impossible to expect a bat to last more than a season with the way they hit growth spurts. My DD has been on the smaller side (5' and 83lbs), turning 12 at the end of the month.

This past winter we bought her a Ghost in 30/20 but it seemed to swing kinda heavy for her, we tried out a CF zen's and she loved it. Totally different results. We sold the Ghost and bought a new CF. It's been great for her all season, and after being her first, she's now a Demarini fan. Either way, last year a 30/20 would've been too big for her, and with the growth spurt she's in the middle of, I don't expect her current Zen to make it past this fall season. Buy a quality bat (or used) and take care of it, resell and put towards your next.

Check with some of the parents on your team (if you're in travel) and see if any of them have a bat their daughter is growing out of and are looking to sell. It's just part of what happens at this age range unless they hit that big growth spurt early and then slow way down. We're just not there yet.

I personally feel that buying too big of a bat trying to stretch it for a couple years will have more negative affect on you DD than making sure you've got exactly what she needs. Especially if you're playing in the upper levels of travel where pitching is really starting to develop in both much higher speeds and movement.
That’s exactly the same size my daughter is right now. She hasn’t turned 10 yet.

Dec 11, 2010
From what I can see I really like that swing.

Bat size looks pretty close. I’d say 30/19 or 30/20 should be next bat. Sadly, imho I would also say your options are limited, stay with something that is a true balanced bat, CF-? LXT. I would look for used in good condition..

She hit that well despite where the side tosser flings the ball.

Side toss sucks enough on its own when done right. That side tosser really sucks, exponentially increasing the suckyness of a sucky situation. You don’t have a bat issue, you have a training issue.

Not all will agree with my conclusion, lol

Again, nice job. Her swing looks very natural, really like what I see there.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Side toss sucks enough on its own when done right. That side tosser really sucks, exponentially increasing the suckyness of a sucky situation. You don’t have a bat issue, you have a training issue.
Agreed, tee work and front toss! I honestly don't remember the last time we did side toss?

Jul 3, 2019
From what I can see I really like that swing.

Bat size looks pretty close. I’d say 30/19 or 30/20 should be next bat. Sadly, imho I would also say your options are limited, stay with something that is a true balanced bat, CF-? LXT. I would look for used in good condition..

She hit that well despite where the side tosser flings the ball.

Not all will agree with my conclusion, lol

Again, nice job. Her swing looks very natural, really like what I see there.

During that side toss they was working on getting everything going together. She had a habit of striding before the pitcher released the pitch. It’s looks better now lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2010
The instructor gets props for having a plan

Did notice that the ball contact location was up/outside half and deep and the hitter is going oppo. Also noted early bat speed.

As a general rule I really hate side toss but maybe I can grant a temporary pass in this case, lol

But after that pass expires, do what AD said above!

Jul 3, 2019
The instructor gets props for having a plan

Did notice that the ball contact location was up/outside half and deep and the hitter is going oppo. Also noted early bat speed.

As a general rule I really hate side toss but maybe I can grant a temporary pass in this case, lol

But after that pass expires, do what AD said above!

Which bat do you suggest I get for her to try?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Def check out bat weights as well, most every inner tech bat is gonna be overweight as opposed to
a CF, which a lot of times will come in a little under.

Even if you can go to a big box store or anywhere for her to swing a couple to feel then buy elsewhere
for better prices. Teammates are also a good "test" platform as well. Most teams will have most every bat
to try around their weight.

Sometimes this doesnt work either because the buying powers at be send what they want to each big box
store...so if your main store isnt a big fp seller, they will not get many good bats if any. Those will go to
the store in a certain area that has proven sales. Thats why sometimes people walk into a store
and all they see are junk bats or weights that nobody buys...haha

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22