Looking for some advice on HS ball because this dad is driving the struggle bus (Sorry another HS topic)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2018
Funny how the HS coach and AD are taking the most offense to someone suggesting it's not right that a benched player not be allowed to even make the argument up the chain since the coach said no that she'd like move from V to JV and agreeing with each other she should just sit there and rust for the 3 months leading up to summer ball.....

Oct 26, 2019
There is no justifiable reason to pitch one girl 100% of the innings and pitch the other girl 0 innings.
I didn’t say I agree with what the coach is doing, but going to the AD isn’t going to change that. The OP talked to the coach, which was the right thing to do. Hopefully the kid will get some playing time now. If not, they will have to make a choice whether to keep playing or not.

Oct 26, 2019
Funny how the HS coach and AD are taking the most offense to someone suggesting it's not right that a benched player not be allowed to even make the argument up the chain since the coach said no that she'd like move from V to JV and agreeing with each other she should just sit there and rust for the 3 months leading up to summer ball.....
I didn’t say I agree with the coaches decision. I personally wouldn’t keep a kid on varsity if I was not going to play them. As was the case here, it usually leads to issues with the parents. I would have either left her on JV or cut her if I didn’t plan on playing her.

The coach is not being mean or abusive. He is making a judgement call that most seem to think is wrong based on info the OP gave us. I’ve been on the parent end of it just this year. My daughter made the MS team and played 1 inning all year. I just said it won’t kill the kid to sit the bench. If she “rusts” in 3 months then she isn’t very good to begin with.

This high school coach might not be very good. High school coaches have to deal with a lot of parent crap and get paid very very poorly, which makes the job pretty unappealing. I just said going to the AD isn’t going to change that.

Oct 14, 2019
I didn’t say I agree with what the coach is doing, but going to the AD isn’t going to change that. The OP talked to the coach, which was the right thing to do. Hopefully the kid will get some playing time now. If not, they will have to make a choice whether to keep playing or not.
would never go to AD unless it was abusive behavior

Jan 22, 2011
I've noticed in HS the P1 tends to pitch 80+ percent of the innings, sometimes close to 100 percent. Silly in my opinion because you never know when the P1 might have a sore arm or get hurt. Plus reasonably good teams will hit a pitcher the 3rd time through the batting order.

The pitcher on my DD's high school team last year pitched more than 80pct of the innings her sophomore-senior year pitched 0 pitches in a game her freshman year.

How many games are in the season? 40 innings is what, 6 games?

If the HS rules in your state allows her to play both JV and V it is silly she isn't allowed to pitch some JV.

Your DD should continue to volunteer to pitch game situation pitching during practice (not meatball BP), and ask what it will take to get in a game.

I don't agree with it necessarily, but the coach on my DD's team DP's one of the backup pitchers when they aren't pitching, even though they are some of the better hitters on the team. The 3rd pitcher might get one at bat and an inning on defense. His philosophy is he wants to limit the chances for a pitcher getting hurt.

IMO, unless the coach is being abusive, she should finish the season.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
So a little update. I spoke with the coach after yesterday's game because yet again, my daughter got 0 time despite the team playing a non-conference game and up big in the 6th and then 7th innings. I approached him after the game and asked to speak, he agreed so I asked him what my daughter can improve, or what he would like to see in order for her to get some time pitching, hitting, fielding, anything. His response was "Nothing, she's a great kid. She works hard at practice and is a natural leader. She just needs to sit and wait her turn, it's a hierarchy." I repeated my question and said "So you're telling me there is nothing she can do to get more playing time" and he said "No. She just needs to wait. She'll get pitching time at some point, I just don't know when will get tired or need to be switched." I then asked if she could play JV so she could get some pitching time and he said "No, that's not an option, I need 2 pitchers."

The team has now played about 40 innings this season and my daughter has pitched 0 (hasn't even warmed up btw), the other girl has pitched EVERY inning. Including every inning of a scrimmage before the season started.

At this point my daughter doesn't want to just quit, she wants to play in college. She's spoken to a few coaches, nothing super serious at this point, but she's afraid that what is happening this year in HS is going to kill her chances. I keep telling her that she can use travel ball clips for her recruiting video but she's so down right now I don't even know how to help her.

How successful has this coach been in the past and has this been his MO in previous years? Maybe time to change strategy or thought process if the team results haven’t been good. To compliment your daughter on her strong work ethic, natural leader and say it’s a hierarchy and just needs to sit and wait doesn’t make sense. I’m sure most coaches would take that kind of athlete and at least give them a chance to perform. Then to say she can’t go to JV seems selfish. I imagine the AC coaches daughter has something to do with it and can’t come out and say it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 14, 2019
How successful has this coach been in the past and has this been his MO in previous years? Maybe time to change strategy or thought process if the team results haven’t been good. To compliment your daughter on her strong work ethic, natural leader and say it’s a hierarchy and just needs to sit and wait doesn’t make sense. I’m sure most coaches would take that kind of athlete and at least give them a chance to perform. Then to say she can’t go to JV seems selfish. I imagine the AC coaches daughter has something to do with it and can’t come out and say it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never heard of a HS school coach with more than 1 competent pitcher giving all the innings to one pitcher.

Aug 20, 2018
I didn’t say I agree with the coaches decision. I personally wouldn’t keep a kid on varsity if I was not going to play them. As was the case here, it usually leads to issues with the parents. I would have either left her on JV or cut her if I didn’t plan on playing her.

The coach is not being mean or abusive. He is making a judgement call that most seem to think is wrong based on info the OP gave us. I’ve been on the parent end of it just this year. My daughter made the MS team and played 1 inning all year. I just said it won’t kill the kid to sit the bench. If she “rusts” in 3 months then she isn’t very good to begin with.

This high school coach might not be very good. High school coaches have to deal with a lot of parent crap and get paid very very poorly, which makes the job pretty unappealing. I just said going to the AD isn’t going to change that.
This is pretty much where I'm at. I don't think the coach is necessarily being abusive or mean on purpose. I do think the assistant coach, who is a very big personality, is running the team (this is based on several player's opinions) and is playing pure Daddy Ball at this point. I don't plan on going to the AD, I'm not sure this is his job to police playing time or anything.

My biggest issues right now, and something I've struggled with ALL weekend is his refusal to move her to JV AND him telling me there isn't anything she can work on/improve to get more playing time, she just needs to wait her turn.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619