Looking for some advice on HS ball because this dad is driving the struggle bus (Sorry another HS topic)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2018
Take it to the AD - coach won't play her and won't let her move to JV and has no complaint with her? She's just sitting there rusting and that is not acceptable. There's a girl on my DD's travel team who has issues with HS ball and just doesn't play. She takes lessons, works on pitching at home and with her coach. It's only a couple months. Sorry your DD is dealing with a numbskull but sounds like someone you wouldn't want her playing for anyway.

Oct 14, 2019
So a little update. I spoke with the coach after yesterday's game because yet again, my daughter got 0 time despite the team playing a non-conference game and up big in the 6th and then 7th innings. I approached him after the game and asked to speak, he agreed so I asked him what my daughter can improve, or what he would like to see in order for her to get some time pitching, hitting, fielding, anything. His response was "Nothing, she's a great kid. She works hard at practice and is a natural leader. She just needs to sit and wait her turn, it's a hierarchy." I repeated my question and said "So you're telling me there is nothing she can do to get more playing time" and he said "No. She just needs to wait. She'll get pitching time at some point, I just don't know when <the starter> will get tired or need to be switched." I then asked if she could play JV so she could get some pitching time and he said "No, that's not an option, I need 2 pitchers."

The team has now played about 40 innings this season and my daughter has pitched 0 (hasn't even warmed up btw), the other girl has pitched EVERY inning. Including every inning of a scrimmage before the season started.

At this point my daughter doesn't want to just quit, she wants to play in college. She's spoken to a few coaches, nothing super serious at this point, but she's afraid that what is happening this year in HS is going to kill her chances. I keep telling her that she can use travel ball clips for her recruiting video but she's so down right now I don't even know how to help her.

I was in the camp of just stick it out, but after that I need 2 pitchers comment I would let your DD leave the team if that is what she wants to do. Either he needs 2 pitchers or he doesn’t.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Take it to the AD - coach won't play her and won't let her move to JV and has no complaint with her? She's just sitting there rusting and that is not acceptable. There's a girl on my DD's travel team who has issues with HS ball and just doesn't play. She takes lessons, works on pitching at home and with her coach. It's only a couple months. Sorry your DD is dealing with a numbskull but sounds like someone you wouldn't want her playing for anyway.
This is terrible advice.

Any AD who is going to meddle in a coach's playing time decisions doesn't deserve to have the job.

Oct 10, 2018
This is terrible advice.

Any AD who is going to meddle in a coach's playing time decisions doesn't deserve to have the job.

The idea is to let her move to JV, not get her playing time. And if the coach is just going to keep her on the bench rather than let her move *for no good reason* you need to move up the food chain. These teams are paid for with your tax dollars - you can and should speak up when school personnel is not doing the right thing be it in the classroom or on the field. If the AD doesn't know this (and probably a lot more) is going on how can s/he fix it? Sounds like this coach is terrible and there is probably a line of people with complaints. My DD's school had a coach who was less than satisfactory we (many of the softball parents) complained loud and long enough that we got a new coach.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
40 inning and no playing time? All 6 games were nail biters?

Coach doesn't even warm up ap second pitcher. Thats enough reason to contact AD. Saw this recently at D1 College level and the unwarmed up pitcher blew out her bicep on her 4th pitch.

May 17, 2012
These teams are paid for with your tax dollars

What the hell does that have to do with anything? Do you get say in how our Armed Forces defend our country with our tax dollars?

At the end of the day, you are still arguing about who should play where and how much. The AD should have zero input on that.

Now if the coach was breaking a rule or it was a case of nepotism sure you could reach out to your AD. At the end of the day, the coach gets the final say on playing time, and if you don't like it kick rocks. It's that simple.

Oct 26, 2019
What the hell does that have to do with anything? Do you get say in how our Armed Forces defend our country with our tax dollars?

At the end of the day, you are still arguing about who should play where and how much. The AD should have zero input on that.

Now if the coach was breaking a rule or it was a case of nepotism sure you could reach out to your AD. At the end of the day, the coach gets the final say on playing time, and if you don't like it kick rocks. It's that simple.
You beat me to it. Sitting the bench is not the end of the world. It is not doing irreparable harm to anyone. The best players don’t always play, the best person doesn’t always get the job, that’s just life. This coach may be wrong by not playing her - who knows. I don’t always agree with who my coaches play and their lineups as an athletic director. My job is to hire and evaluate the coaches. And their job is to write the best lineup that they feel like gives them a chance to win. Right or wrong this coach feels like they are doing that.

Oct 14, 2019
You beat me to it. Sitting the bench is not the end of the world. It is not doing irreparable harm to anyone. The best players don’t always play, the best person doesn’t always get the job, that’s just life. This coach may be wrong by not playing her - who knows. I don’t always agree with who my coaches play and their lineups as an athletic director. My job is to hire and evaluate the coaches. And their job is to write the best lineup that they feel like gives them a chance to win. Right or wrong this coach feels like they are doing that.

There is no justifiable reason to pitch one girl 100% of the innings and pitch the other girl 0 innings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes