Looking for high school, college guidance.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Just to add to the discussion. My DD pitched in 32 games. Threw 174 innings, 2811 pitches. Does this seem like its to much?
My dd is literally the only pitcher on the team and the coach is and has not tried to develop any other pitchers. The program is going down fast with other kids transferring out.
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/softball/d1/current/individual/1267

Maybe pitching a lot of innings will prepare her for college. This will build her endurance and ya know what college coaches like? They like their pitchers to be able to pitch full games. RE: UT's Dolcini. There are many pitchers that can barely last one full 7 inning game. The D1 POY Corrick pitched 274 innings. Check out the link I provided. HS you are typically playing 2 games a week right? How many parents on here complain their pitcher princess only got to see the field twice in a 3 day weekend during tourneys? Also, TB games for the most part are timed, until you get to the better tournaments where they play 7 inning games.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A lot of talk on this thread about ACT/SAT. DD1 is a senior non-athlete and recently finished up her application and admission process. Every school she applied to was SAT optional. She got into a really great program and when I spoke to the department head he said that they were relieved to not have to consider standardized tests. It let them give more weight to the strength of the curriculum that a student pursued as well as extra curriculars.

Also, a nearby parochial school just poached our HS’s best hitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like that recruitment is not only based on only ACT and SAT test scores because some people just don't test well, because their academic grades might be absolutely fine, Because they do better in classroom setting.

However testing of those can show some results that can heavily influence planning and future opportunity!

Like finishing eighth grade and having an SAT score of 1450. Especially with colleges planning in advance who they follow scoring high can get eyes to follow.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
Like finishing eighth grade and having an SAT score of 1450. Especially with colleges planning in advance who they follow scoring high can get eyes to follow.

They all accept score submissions, it’s just no longer required at many schools. If you can score a 1450 before starting HS, send it!!!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
They all accept score submissions,
it’s just no longer required at many schools.
That's a good point right there ⬆️can send in score even if it's not required.

If you can score a 1450 before starting HS, send it!!!

Yes! People preparing have tools that can help them evaluate where they are at and the results can be encouraging 😉

Oct 10, 2018
Around here (northern NYC suburbs), I've been told private schools inflate grades (at least in HS) to give parents what they are paying for; that the schools know parents will not pay for a school when their kid can get better grades at public school.

Regarding AP classes and weighted averages - my DD's college advisor (private, not through the school) says a lot of schools are not looking at weighted GPAs but do want to see AP classes on the transcript. They expect AP classes and a high unweighted GPA. This probably varies college to college.

IIWY forget the private school but do have a talk with the coach that DD cannot pitch every game next year. If someone who is really sub-par needs to be the second pitcher, and the team loses the game, so be it. Your DD's long-term arm health is more important - too many good pitchers are ruined for the summer (or more) b/c of school ball coaches riding one arm all season. If things go sour, don't forget DD doesn't *have* to play HS ball. One of the pitchers on my DD's travel team doesn't for this very reason and spends the time taking lessons, hitting and working out.

Good luck, I hope you find a solution that works.

Oct 10, 2018
Many private schools don’t assign a class rank.
DD's HS (public) doesn't supply class ranks either and hasn't for over a decade.

Instead, they give colleges a "grade distribution chart."

Attachments

• gradedistributionchart.png
    gradedistributionchart.png
    56.5 KB · Views: 22
May 27, 2013
DD's HS (public) doesn't supply class ranks either and hasn't for over a decade.

Instead, they give colleges a "grade distribution chart."

Here’s where I always get confused and just trying to understand better. If a C is considered average, shouldn’t it be the grade that a higher percentage of kids have? Or maybe even a B? I don’t understand how A’s and A-‘s are the most common grade (assuming that’s what the number grades equate to). I see that in our local districts, as well.

Jun 8, 2016
Here’s where I always get confused and just trying to understand better. If a C is considered average, shouldn’t it be the grade that a higher percentage of kids have? Or maybe even a B? I don’t understand how A’s and A-‘s are the most common grade (assuming that’s what the number grades equate to). I see that in our local districts, as well.
Grade inflation has been going on for a long time across various schooling levels.

That said the grade is supposed to reflect an expectation from the instructor in terms of what should be learned. It is certainly possible for most of the class to well exceed this expectation. What has often happened over the years is that instructors lower their expectations (for various reasons) and voila..grade inflation.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
...lol... stop trying to be so smart about it
🙈🙉🙊

You bring up a pretty darn good point!🙂

May 27, 2013
Grade inflation has been going on for a long time across various schooling levels.

That said the grade is supposed to reflect an expectation from the instructor in terms of what should be learned. It is certainly possible for most of the class to well exceed this expectation. What has often happened over the years is that instructors lower their expectations (for various reasons) and voila..grade inflation.

Pattar - I know you teach in college but this isn’t how grades would be distributed in your classes, would it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01