Looking for feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
No one knows better than me how the lateral bend is a dead end. Yes, it happens. The tilt is at the rear hip. Coil around the rear leg and tilt at the hip and your rear leg snaps forward. Your shoulders tilt.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Butter, lateral tilt happens, and it is a forceful action. It is not a dead end.

One of the biggest flaws we see in youth swings posted here at DFP has to do with a lack of understanding of lateral tilt.

What you refer to, as rotation of the forearms, is actually an action that takes place essentially in parallel with ‘lateral tilt’.

In case it is a mystery to anyone … the lead arm ‘flattens’ to the perceived swing plane. From a handset in which the knob is roughly pointed back to the catchers feet, the lead-arm is pronated. It is a bad idea to promote “late lead-arm pronation” out in front … it is ‘early lead-arm pronation’ that should be taking place. One can view this as the bottom-hand being leveled/flattened. While that is a forceful action, which participates alongside with the ‘lateral tilt’ in getting the barrel arcing, it should not be overcooked. Forceful … yes, but overshooting this rotation is bad and will cost a hitter in terms of their frequency of squaring the ball.

May 3, 2014
Butter, lateral tilt happens, and it is a forceful action. It is not a dead end.

One of the biggest flaws we see in youth swings posted here at DFP has to do with a lack of understanding of lateral tilt.

What you refer to, as rotation of the forearms, is actually an action that takes place essentially in parallel with ‘lateral tilt’.

In case it is a mystery to anyone … the lead arm ‘flattens’ to the perceived swing plane. From a handset in which the knob is roughly pointed back to the catchers feet, the lead-arm is pronated. It is a bad idea to promote “late lead-arm pronation” out in front … it is ‘early lead-arm pronation’ that should be taking place. One can view this as the bottom-hand being leveled/flattened. While that is a forceful action, which participates alongside with the ‘lateral tilt’ in getting the barrel arcing, it should not be overcooked. Forceful … yes, but overshooting this rotation is bad and will cost a hitter in terms of their frequency of squaring the ball.

You are still not getting what I wrote. Here it is again

No one knows better than me how the lateral bend is a dead end. Yes, it happens. The tilt is at the rear hip. Coil around the rear leg and tilt at the hip and your rear leg snaps forward. Your shoulders tilt.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Butter, I am missing your point. I stand by what I have written in this thread.

The forearm rotation that I believe you are promoting (or at least what I had hoped you were promoting) is useless if not accompanied with ‘lateral tilt’.

May 3, 2014
My point that any emphasis to laterally bend the torso to initiate tilt is a waste of time. The tilt happens at the rear hip. Lateral bend is slow. Hip tilt is sudden and snaps the rear leg.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
My point that any emphasis to laterally bend the torso to initiate tilt is a waste of time. The tilt happens at the rear hip. Lateral bend is slow. Hip tilt is sudden and snaps the rear leg.

The torso actively laterally bends. It is a forceful and highly important action within the swing. It is an action that should take place with the slack essentially taken out of the system so that communication to the barrel is immediate.

I understand the feel of the rear hip and the gear-like feel/action. There is more going on than simply tilting the rear hip.

The lateral tilt of the torso re-orientates the shoulders, and in so doing transfers energy through the lead shoulder, along the lead-arm, to the bottom-hand and to the handle of the bat. It is during this sudden flow of energy that you want to have the lead-arm pronating to the perceived swing plane (what I believe you refer to as forearm rotation).

May 3, 2014
the hip tilts the torso and thereby the shoulders. So, if the torso is coiled around the rear leg and you tilt at the hip (where the gears meet) your leg snaps forwards and bends your torso as it tilts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06