Looking for feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Here's an example of Ken Griffy ....

Keep watching those two frames being toggled back and forth in the middle of the swing.

That's the main engine. That's the "hands being taken off the shelf with the main engine" (i.e., we "walk-away-from-the-hands", "we move forward and place the hands on the shelf" ... and then we use the 'main engine' to "take the hands off the shelf"). It's a combination of torso 'rotation' and 'lateral side bend' (and yes ... also lumbar lordosis, or arching of the lower back).

I believe that you do arch the lower back as well as tilt or lateral bend sideways. I believe that is the movements that take place. You need both.

May 3, 2014
Here's an example of Ken Griffy ....

Griffey.gif

Now let's take another look at this same swing and highlight two frames ...

Griffeyx.gif

Keep watching those two frames being toggled back and forth in the middle of the swing.

That's the main engine. That's the "hands being taken off the shelf with the main engine" (i.e., we "walk-away-from-the-hands", "we move forward and place the hands on the shelf" ... and then we use the 'main engine' to "take the hands off the shelf"). It's a combination of torso 'rotation' and 'lateral side bend' (and yes ... also lumbar lordosis, or arching of the lower back).

The tilt is at the rear hip. The torso may bend to support this action, but don't go off into the weeds trying to laterally bend the torso to swing the bat against good pitching. Save that for golf and slow pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06