Looking for drills to keep shoulder from opening up.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
This is really good look at the up front actions TDS was referring to.

Ray, this was music to my ears:
You have to fight to keep the front shoulder down as the hips start to rotate so the spinal tilt is reactionary to the hip rotation. This is a case of a little tilt goes a long way if it's done correctly.

ELTake.gif

Rear knee IN/DOWN against the coiled rear hip AND the hard fought down/in front shoulder.

R

RayR

I agree with the appearance of the rear knee down and in - but I agree with Noon when he speaks of pocket to junk and the feeling being higher then the knee.

This feels like it forces me to coil into the rear hip and I don't feel like I am turning the rear leg as much as I am just applying some inward pressure where I get more of stretch in my lower back and rear glute.

Ray, this was music to my ears:

ELTake.gif

Rear knee IN/DOWN against the coiled rear hip AND the hard fought down/in front shoulder.

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Yes. The knee is mentioned in the sense of a landmark.

Anyway, I have a nice visual of a pitcher (coiling) that I got from a pitching site. The guy does a nice analysis on it too. I'm sure Noon and TDS would be interested.

lift-leg-torsion.gif

Watch from the ground up.

R

RayR

No arguments here.

I would say that in the context of this thread would be to take some swings just using the cue of keeping your front rear pocket (meaning front pocket closer to the catcher) folded/pressed/turned into your zipper for the whole swing and see what happens. It won't actually stay pressed because as the hips start to rotate forward the groin will stretch a bit - but the thought of never giving up the press will coupled with the rear groin stretching will snap the rear leg forward. It forces a forward by coil move and if you keep pressing helps the sequence flow a little better...IMHO...so the front shoulder won't leak...

I have will to give that site another look see....I know I have been out there at one point.

Yes. The knee is mentioned in the sense of a landmark.

Anyway, I have a nice visual of a pitcher (coiling) that I got from a pitching site. The guy does a nice analysis on it too. I'm sure Noon and TDS would be interested.

lift-leg-torsion.gif

Watch from the ground up.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd