Looking for drills to keep shoulder from opening up.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Re read what TDS wrote.

She bypasses the lateral tilt segment of the sequence. The lateral tilt needs to be a reaction to up front actions...IOW's lateral tilt can't be a conscious thought.

Except that I would caution everyone that the lateral tilt is in the spine. Many think that tilt is created in the rear hip. It isn't. And it is not done by the shoulders. You have to fight to keep the front shoulder down as the hips start to rotate so the spinal tilt is reactionary to the hip rotation. This is a case of a little tilt goes a long way if it's done correctly.

The heel has to lift for the hips to rotate. Watch Cabrera.

Cabrera_062613_combo.gif

pzgw.gif

Her early lift of heel causes her rear hip to come in to the plate and around. Her rear hip doesn't give her enough room to swing from the inside.

R

RayR

Actually I would like to delete the term lateral tilt and refer to is as lateral spinal bend or lateral bend. Tilting gives the impression of a diagonal orientation.

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
Re read what TDS wrote.

Except that I would caution everyone that the lateral tilt is in the spine. Many think that tilt is created in the rear hip. It isn't. And it is not done by the shoulders. You have to fight to keep the front shoulder down as the hips start to rotate so the spinal tilt is reactionary to the hip rotation. This is a case of a little tilt goes a long way if it's done correctly.

The heel has to lift for the hips to rotate. Watch Cabrera.

Cabrera_062613_combo.gif

pzgw.gif

I don't understand what you think I should see in the Cabrera vids. I agree that the rear heel has to lift to promote rotation. My point was that the girl was lifting too early which contributed to an around swing instead of swinging from the inside. If she kept her rear heel on the ground longer, moved her hip behind as she moved forward (the "move" as I understand it) then her hip drive would be directionally closer to what Cabrera and other "use all the field" hitters do. Please help me understand where I am wrong in this.

R

RayR

I don't think her keeping her heel on the ground longer would solve anything. She would just keep sliding forward and lunge. Her bottom half functions reasonably well - she needs to learn how to coil and use her spine and back muscles to set up the part that Pujols shows.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Except that I would caution everyone that the lateral tilt is in the spine. Many think that tilt is created in the rear hip. It isn't.
Ray, I think you let the baby go down with the dirty bath water!
cabyback_zps18d96ff0.gif

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Actually I would like to delete the term lateral tilt and refer to is as lateral spinal bend or lateral bend. Tilting gives the impression of a diagonal orientation.

Amen to that.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I don't understand what you think I should see in the Cabrera vids. I agree that the rear heel has to lift to promote rotation. My point was that the girl was lifting too early which contributed to an around swing instead of swinging from the inside. If she kept her rear heel on the ground longer, moved her hip behind as she moved forward (the "move" as I understand it) then her hip drive would be directionally closer to what Cabrera and other "use all the field" hitters do. Please help me understand where I am wrong in this.

Notice that Cabrera has both heels off of the ground for multiple frames ... much like we see from hitters like Bonds.

This girl will get to having both feet flat on the ground, and is pretty far into her swing as the rear heel begins to lift.

35ks6jc.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd