look back rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I realize this post is old, but I don't see having first and third is an advantage over second and third. I assume I'm missing something. Can anyone explain this better?

On a side note we used to use the look back rule as a defensive weapon, as long as you have good umps, that is. I would usually discuss our strategy with the umpires prior to the game.

When a batter walks with a runner on third the batter often continues to second base. Our pitcher (in the circle of course) would get the ball back from the catcher immediately and keep the ball in her glove. She'd look at the runner on third usually causing her start returning to third base. She'd then turn her back to the runner on third and watch the batter rounding first. The pitcher turning her back usually causes the runner and often the coach at third to get antsy and she'll change direction and start edging back toward the plate, or at least she'll stop wand watch to see if the pitcher makes a play to first.

At the point the Umpire calls the runner on third out on the LBR and returns the batter to first. The key is to warn the umpire ahead of time and to make sure the pitcher keeps the ball in her glove. The other coach will always argue that she was making a play on the batter, but ball in glove pretty much shuts that down.

I hope I explained this clearly.

LBR starts when the batter reaches first. The runner on third can do anything she wants until the batter reaches first then she has to make a decision. One way or the other, but she can change direction same as the runner who rounded can.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles