Look back rule in ASA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Roz

Jul 2, 2011
When the pitcher receives the ball back from the catcher in ASA softball, is it preferable for her to be in, or out of the pitchers circle when taking the throw given the existence of the look back rule? Why, or why not?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Definitely in. With the Look Back Rule, once the pitcher receives the ball and is in the circle, the baserunners have to immediately advance or return to the base they were on. For example, the runner on first either has to run to second or go back to first.

If the ball is outside the circle they don't have to do anything. They can stand there, creep toward the next base and generally wait to see if everyone is going to drop their heads and abandon the next base.

Also, the ball is live when the pitcher is not in the circle. If she drops it, or tries to throw it into her glove and misses (it happens) the runners can advance. With the ball in the circle after a batted ball, if the runners return to their bases the umpire will usually call time, which means you have a dead ball until the next pitch.

It's not always absolute, but it's a lot safer for the pitcher to take the ball in the circle whenever possible.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Question confuses me a little bit. Forget the circle or look back rule, I want the pitcher to receive the ball in the middle of the field. If anything is going on in the game they will be in the best position to react.

Added benefit in softball is the runners need to make a decision what they are doing or the play is over until the next pitch.

I do not know if this is the right strategy but DD’s HC has told pitchers never leave the circle unless they are making a play then get back into the circle. When in doubt the fielders are suppose to throw it to the pitcher. They are in the middle of the field so they are in a good position to either make a play or let it finish.

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
When the ball is being returned from the catcher we typically like our pitchers to take a quick throw back inside the part of the circle closest to the catcher where the pitcher can a) quickly throw at the runner or b) make a quick turn toward runner but with hands at the waist in a non-throwing motion. The second option will occasionally confuse the runner enough to cause her to just stop in the basepath, drawing a hesitation call.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Question confuses me a little bit. Forget the circle or look back rule, I want the pitcher to receive the ball in the middle of the field. If anything is going on in the game they will be in the best position to react.

Added benefit in softball is the runners need to make a decision what they are doing or the play is over until the next pitch.

I do not know if this is the right strategy but DD’s HC has told pitchers never leave the circle unless they are making a play then get back into the circle. When in doubt the fielders are suppose to throw it to the pitcher. They are in the middle of the field so they are in a good position to either make a play or let it finish.

Quincy, the pitcher needs to get out of the circle when there is a play other than a routine throw to first. The pitcher needs to back up third or home depending upon the situation. I have never seen anyone tagged out in the pitching circle. And besides when there is a throw from the outfield having someone in the circle puts too many people in the outfielder's line of sight.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
...With the ball in the circle after a batted ball, if the runners return to their bases the umpire will usually call time, which means you have a dead ball until the next pitch....

MTR should be along shortly to tell us that this is the way it should be in the FP game. :)
This is actually a Slow Pitch procedure. Call time once the ball is back in the infield and all baserunners have completed their baserunning.

Umpires should not be routinely calling time after a batted ball in the FP game. The only exception to this would be games with a single umpire. In that case, it is a good practice to call time after a base hit to return to position behind the plate.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez