Look back rule again

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yes.

But she is also allowed a brief hesitation between 1st and 2nd. She cannot stop on 1st and then go. Assuming the pitcher has the ball in the circle.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
It is ok to wrap a runner to second after a walk as long as she doesn't stop right?

This came up in a game yesterday. I hear it every year, but haven't really nailed down where it comes from? Is there, or was there something in the rule that referenced walks and an automatic out if _____ that's been twisted or misunderstood?

Jun 22, 2008
The only thing I can think of is if the ball is in the circle and the walked batter stops at 1st and then steps off toward 2nd they are out for violating the lookback rule.

Mar 2, 2013
Yes.

But she is also allowed a brief hesitation between 1st and 2nd. She cannot stop on 1st and then go. Assuming the pitcher has the ball in the circle.

This comment distorts the rule. A batter-runner who rounds 1st base is entitled to stop once. Once she stops, she must immediately continue toward 2nd base or retreat to 1st base. There is no such thing as "brief hesitation" and I'm not sure what you are getting at by using the incorrect terminology.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
This comment distorts the rule. A batter-runner who rounds 1st base is entitled to stop once. Once she stops, she must immediately continue toward 2nd base or retreat to 1st base. There is no such thing as "brief hesitation" and I'm not sure what you are getting at by using the incorrect terminology.

Which is longer, a brief hesitation or a stop? And with respect to imperfect terminology, how can one stop and then continue immediately?

Mar 2, 2013
Which is longer, a brief hesitation or a stop? And with respect to imperfect terminology, how can one stop and then continue immediately?

Why don't you read the rule book? Any rule book really. Let me know if you see the word "hesitate." Then let me know if you see the words "stop" or "immediately." We know coaches tend not to use the right terminology, but I would expect a bit more for a paid umpire.

May 29, 2013
Here is a bit of a twist on the LBR. Batter hits a single, tagging and running through first base into foul territory. While the runner is heading back to first base, the pitcher receives the ball in the circle and maintains control. The batter, upon returning to FB then takes 2-3 steps toward second. Umpire calls her out for leaving the base while the pitcher is in the circle with the ball. Correct call?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It sounds right. Once the pitcher had the ball in circle the Look Back Rule would be in effect. When it's in effect, a runner on a base may not leave it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid