Look back rule again

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
As has been stated on this site many times before, this isn't an issue for well-coached teams on either defense or offense.

It's the weaker coaches and their often very vocal fans that will try to game the umpire in search of a cheap out call, and quite often, it's clear they don't have a firm understanding of the rule.

Mar 2, 2013
Although the work immediately is used, an umpire should never use this rule as a "gotcha".....

I agree. It's a rule to keep the game moving; not one based on equity. If an umpire is going to call a "technical" out (one that doesn't require the defense to do a darn thing), he better be willing to bet his life, so to speak, that the player did violate the rule. I would be this one next to "She's out of the box, blue."

Mar 1, 2013
Agreed. Any time I've called a girl out on the lookback rule has either been a case where she clearly left early (bad job timing the pitch) or where she was clearly no longer moving toward a base (i.e. "camping"). I've seen umpires who are really quick on the trigger there and some who would only call it with a presidential directive.

Agreed. Any time I've called a girl out on the lookback rule has either been a case where she clearly left early (bad job timing the pitch) or where she was clearly no longer moving toward a base (i.e. "camping"). I've seen umpires who are really quick on the trigger there and some who would only call it with a presidential directive.

I think the intent of the rule was to stopping either camping or dancing while you are off the bag and the pitcher wants to get ready to throw the next pitch which is a good thing, but people will always find a way to turn a good thing into a bad.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I think the intent of the rule was to stopping either camping or dancing while you are off the bag and the pitcher wants to get ready to throw the next pitch which is a good thing, but people will always find a way to turn a good thing into a bad.

The purpose of the rule was to stop the never ending cat and mouse games. This occurred because FP enthusiasts insist on a "live ball" type of game. They used to have the same issue in SP, but they resolved that without a circle or punitive rule. Because of these "enthusiasts", they will never change the rule to just allow the umpire to call time. It is already done when there needs to be some sort of on-field housekeeping or line up change or just about anything including the umpire crew returning to their positions for the next play.

What is supposed to happen during the period the LBR is in effect? Nothing, so why keep the ball live? Just let the umpires decide when all obvious play is complete, kill the ball and move on. The rule was never meant to become a strategy or complaint, it was meant to the game under control.

The purpose of the rule was to stop the never ending cat and mouse games. This occurred because FP enthusiasts insist on a "live ball" type of game. They used to have the same issue in SP, but they resolved that without a circle or punitive rule. Because of these "enthusiasts", they will never change the rule to just allow the umpire to call time. It is already done when there needs to be some sort of on-field housekeeping or line up change or just about anything including the umpire crew returning to their positions for the next play.

What is supposed to happen during the period the LBR is in effect? Nothing, so why keep the ball live? Just let the umpires decide when all obvious play is complete, kill the ball and move on. The rule was never meant to become a strategy or complaint, it was meant to the game under control.

I think this is kinda what the umpires thought they were doing in our situation. Umpires had a meeting and during it this came up as a point of emphasis. To keep the game moving make sure when the pitcher is ready to pitch the ball everyone is on the base or call them out via the look back rule to keep the game moving along.

Of course the thought was normal course of play would be pitch, lead off, catch, throw back to pitcher, return to base, pitcher goes to pitching plate and gets the sign and repeat. I think we just ended up with creative coaching and over aggressive umpiring leading to a perfect storm.

I am not sure how you would enforce the umpire calling time out every pitch that seems tedious. Plus I am not sure you are 100% correct when you say nothing happens during LBR, the thing that is happening is the runner immediately going to a base what if she wants to try and advance how would that be allowed under a time out versus live ball scenario unless I am just not understanding what you mean. Again I don't know why common sense can not prevail and just use this to stop the dancing baserunners.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I am not sure how you would enforce the umpire calling time out every pitch that seems tedious.

Are you kidding? It is done in every SP game after every at bat. And how long does most 7 inning SP games last? 65-75 minutes. And you are talking about a game with 10 times more hits and runs, yet they are done 40-60 minutes sooner.

Plus I am not sure you are 100% correct when you say nothing happens during LBR, the thing that is happening is the runner immediately going to a base what if she wants to try and advance how would that be allowed under a time out versus live ball scenario unless I am just not understanding what you mean. Again I don't know why common sense can not prevail and just use this to stop the dancing baserunners.

This is why FP people have a hard time with this, they try to out think it. It cannot be simpler. When it is obvious to the umpire that all play is finished, s/he just calls time and we move on. What would happen if the runner wants to try and advance with the ball in the circle?

And you will never have any common sense as long as coaches are playing to win and the is every minute of every game.

Mar 2, 2013
Are you kidding? It is done in every SP game after every at bat. And how long does most 7 inning SP games last? 65-75 minutes. And you are talking about a game with 10 times more hits and runs, yet they are done 40-60 minutes sooner.

This is why FP people have a hard time with this, they try to out think it. It cannot be simpler. When it is obvious to the umpire that all play is finished, s/he just calls time and we move on. What would happen if the runner wants to try and advance with the ball in the circle?

And you will never have any common sense as long as coaches are playing to win and the is every minute of every game.

Your banter does little to help others understand the rule, which is why a question was asked in the first place. Know your audience.

Perhaps you want to start a new thread and continue your philosophical argument there. But here, your comments are clearly misplaced.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Your banter does little to help others understand the rule, which is why a question was asked in the first place. Know your audience.

Perhaps you want to start a new thread and continue your philosophical argument there. But here, your comments are clearly misplaced.

I was ....... never mind. I believe Jim Croce was right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01