Look back/potential trick play question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2013
B.C. Canada
What constitutes control?
Does the pitcher cease to be an infielder once she recieves the ball, or does control mean that the ball has to come down to her hip. If the pitcher receives the ball and takes it from her glove to her throwing hand and raises the ball to shoulder height, to show the ball or fake a movement toward the runner, does this now not make the play live again negating the look back rule?

Jun 22, 2008
For asa control is defined as the ball in the hand or the glove. If the pitcher is in possession of the ball (most other rule sets) and control for asa the look back rule is in effect. It doesn't matter if the entire team goes into the circle runners cannot leave the base they are on.

Mar 26, 2013
What constitutes control?
Does the pitcher cease to be an infielder once she recieves the ball, or does control mean that the ball has to come down to her hip. If the pitcher receives the ball and takes it from her glove to her throwing hand and raises the ball to shoulder height, to show the ball or fake a movement toward the runner, does this now not make the play live again negating the look back rule?
Merely showing the ball might not, but a fake movement would temporarily suspend LBR. The umpire can judge any movement that causes the runner to react a "play" that suspends LBR.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Go back and read the original post. It said that there was a runner or runners on base and the batter strikes out. It didn't say that the runner(s) always stood on the base and never left it. So yes, there is a potential for a runner to be off with the pitch, have a strike out, huddle in the circle as the rule goes into effect and have the runner take off (assuming she didn't go back to the base). That's perfectly legal. I am not mudding any waters.

Just the fact that you bring the a defender's position, other than the pitcher with possession of the ball in the circle, into the discussion muddies the waters.

Mar 2, 2013
Just the fact that you bring the a defender's position, other than the pitcher with possession of the ball in the circle, into the discussion muddies the waters.

Wrong again. At no time did I say that another defender had the ball in the circle. Go back and read what I wrote. Then comprehend what I wrote. Then, if you want to comment on it, feel free.

We don't have to agree on all matters, but it is irresponsible of you to misinterpret what I write and turn it around so that it is inaccurate. Don't attribute your poor reading and comprehension skills to what you interpret as my lack of rules knowledge.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Wrong again. At no time did I say that another defender had the ball in the circle. Go back and read what I wrote. Then comprehend what I wrote. Then, if you want to comment on it, feel free.

Read it yourself. At no point did I mention anyone other than the pitcher having the ball.

You stated:
The issue isn't the number of players who go into the circle to slap hands. The issue is whether you have another defender to cover 2nd base should the runner legally try to advance. For instance, have the center fielder jog in toward 2nd base. This is actually an effective defensive play. If she runs, you have a good chance she will violate the LBR or you can execute an out if she doesn't.

See the highlighted portion? That is irrelevant to ANY play involving the LBR. The ONLY defender that has any status as to the effect of the LBR is the pitcher and pitcher only I don't care if you have 2 defenders covering every base, if the LBR is in effect, it is applicable should a runner violate it no matter where any other defender may be standing.

We don't have to agree on all matters, but it is irresponsible of you to misinterpret what I write and turn it around so that it is inaccurate. Don't attribute your poor reading and comprehension skills to what you interpret as my lack of rules knowledge.

I didn't turn anything around, there it is, just as you presented it. To me, even suggesting that anything other than the rule and play being discussed muddies the waters and can cause more confusion than not giving an answer.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
Another LBR scenario:

No runners on, no out.

Batter walks. Catcher throws ball back to pitcher while batter/runner jogs to first. Pitcher now has ball in her glove, in the circle.

Batter/runner rounds first base and runs about 5 feet towards 2nd base, stops, and immediately returns to first base. Pitcher doesn't look toward first base, and doesn't even know what is happening with the walked batter.

Umpire calls batter/runner out, stating; "once she rounded first base she MUST continue running to 2nd base or she is out".

Umpire did not declare this a LBR, merely repeating that the player must run to second once she rounded first toward second base. The score was out of hand (my team losing), so I didn't argue much after he explained his ruling. But I did state to him that I believed he was talking about the LBR, which I believe states the runner must either immediately proceed to one base or the other, which my player did. She therefore should not be out.

Please don't ask why my player even rounded first and moved toward second base, or why my first base coach might have told her to do so. 12U 'C' level. Sometimes goofy things happen.

Jun 22, 2008
Umpire calls batter/runner out, stating; "once she rounded first base she MUST continue running to 2nd base or she is out".

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Did I mention, wrong?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
By the way, did anyone mention that this was wrong? :rolleyes:

But it's a ruling I hear about being made at least a couple of times every year. It's just one of those gross misinterpretations of the Look Back Rule, from people that don't understand the rule, that won't go away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi