Look back/potential trick play question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 8, 2010
Scenario is runner or runners on base and the pitcher strikes out the batter. As we see sometimes with no runners on, the infielders go to the circle to hi-five/congradulate the pitcher. The runner or runners break for the next, now unoccupied base. Are they out by the look back rule?

Assuming the ball was in the pitchers hand, in the circle and the runners were stationary on their bases.

I saw this happen in a game and the runners advanced with no call from the Blue. One of my players that was watching from the stands with me said "why isn't the runner out?" I thought it was a good question.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
The rule says pitcher has to be in the circle with control of the ball. Nothing else matters. It should have been a dead ball, the runner who left base first is out and the other returned to the bag.

With that said, I don't advocate high-fives with runners on base.

Aug 8, 2010
The rule says pitcher has to be in the circle with control of the ball. Nothing else matters. It should have been a dead ball, the runner who left base first is out and the other returned to the bag.

With that said, I don't advocate high-fives with runners on base.

Me neither. Matter of fact I have yelled "NOOO" when my 10U team tried to do it before with runners on. Maybe they knew better than me.

May 17, 2012
Assuming the ball was in the pitchers hand, in the circle and the runners were stationary on their bases.

Not to be picky but I assume they led off the base and when the ball was returned to the pitcher in the circle they retreated back to their bases?

If they hadn't led off and stayed on the base (unlikely) could they still advance? That's what I want to know.

Aug 8, 2010
They had led off on the pitch and returned as normal after the ball went back in the circle. When the infielders went to the circle the runners were back and stationary on their bags.

Not to be picky but I assume they led off the base and when the ball was returned to the pitcher in the circle they retreated back to their bases?

If they hadn't led off and stayed on the base (unlikely) could they still advance? That's what I want to know.

Aug 8, 2010
You are better of being quite and hope no one else notices, as so soon as you yell they will probably call her out. :)

(How did that runner get to 2nd, wasn't she just on 1st?)

I have yelled at my Defense to not go to the circle to celebrate.

The exact situation was runners on 1B and 2B. The runner on 2B broke first and the one on 1B broke after she saw what was going on.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
I have yelled at my Defense to not go to the circle to celebrate.

The exact situation was runners on 1B and 2B. The runner on 2B broke first and the one on 1B broke after she saw what was going on.

Sounds like if the runners broke before the pitcher had control of the ball in the circle, ump made correct call.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi