long sleeve under armour in hot weather?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
I've seen college players do it, and I was in North Carolina for a tournament over the summer (during the heat wave so it was like 100-105 degrees) and the two teams in the finals (from Florida and NC) both had black long sleeve compression under armour on. Does this actually keep you cooler? I have pretty fair skin so that would be nice to help prevent sunburn.

Under Armour makes long sleeve "heat gear," so is that what they're wearing?

Any personal experiences?

THanks!

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I have not worn UA heat gear but I have worn their competitors shirts. The material is designed to wick away the moisture (sweat) from the body and the dark color soaks up the sun and evaporates it more quickly and efficiently than letting it evaporate naturally thus cooling the body faster. Being an avid golfer, I use them almost every time I play In between DD's practices, lessons and tournaments (which isn't often enough it seems). They work quite well for me.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
I've never personally used them but the girls I know who do swear by them. Say it keeps them so much cooler. And it's HOT here (we had games called off last weekend because of the heat)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, I guess we would have to define hot. I wasted my money on the UA, because nothing is going to help when it is 108, here in Tucson. It might help at 85, I don't know.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
I wear my knock-offs almost every day. While I will occasionally wear the long sleeve in the summer, I also have the sleeveless and short sleeve versions. I like the compression when I am working out or being active or even while coaching.

Last edited:

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD has worn the long sleeve black UA Heat Gear for years in the 100+ weather. She tells us that it keeps her cooler by keeping the sweat off of her. The only problem she has with it is that her hands get tan and nothing else...

Jul 26, 2010
They help regulate things.

Like Amy said, in AZ, it's hot all day long, hell last time I was there it was 105 at midnight.

Out here in California, it can be 50 when the kids get to the field for warmups, 90 at 1pm, and 50 again when they're playing their last game under the lights. The underarmor helps keep the wind off them when its cool and helps keep them cool when it's hot. When it's humid, the girls will remove their underarmor (there is a trick they do to remove it without taking off their jerseys).

It does prevent sun damage, so if it works for you, that's a big advantage.

Heatgear is the stuff you want.

-w

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32