locked elbow IR ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
I thought I had found a local PC who taught IR to help with the softball program we are building at the high school and Little League. Here is her last text to me - "I have been back and forth thinking about it. I would love to teach the girls, I just feel that we have 2 different ways on pitching and changing them back and forth could confuse and hurt them. I'm not sure if I am the best pitching coach for your girls. I do internal pitching but I don't show the bent arm, short stride internal. I have seen so many girls come to me to correct that due to pain."
I'm not sure where the short stride comes from other than the 3 girls that went to her clinic were all beginniners (7th and 8th graders) and we weren't focusing on push. I am concerned about her pain comment. Is it because of age, poor mechanics, what?
And can I send my 10U and 12U girls to her and tweak them later? Or can I leave them with a locked elbow and see how things develop?
I have JavaSource 2 hours away on I86E and Hillhouse less than an hour away on I90W. The above PC charges $20 per girl for individual 1-2 hour lessons and $15 per hour for 2 hour group lessons, which is really reasonable for my parents.
I would really appreciate opinions and thoughts on this.

I am pretty sure that most on this site will tell you that a locked elbow is extremely poor mechanically....... a bending/whipping arm is one of the key foundational movements in pitching.
Java and Bill may cost a little more but they would be worth the time and money.......you don't have to go to them every week.....just pay attention when you are there.

Right now it sounds like you are totally wasting $20 per lesson......doing way more harm then good.

Feb 7, 2013
Ask her if she has seen anyone, EVER, throw overhand with a locked elbow?! The incompetence and general lack of curiosity of these PCs on how to properly throw a ball is shocking to me. It's as if they have never watched a real softball game in their lifetime...

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ask her if she has seen anyone, EVER, throw overhand with a locked elbow?! The incompetence and general lack of curiosity of these PCs on how to properly throw a ball is shocking to me. It's as if they have never watched a real softball game in their lifetime...

The overhand throw in general is often poorly instructed ... even by the likes of folks like Mike Candrea.

Jul 14, 2008
Just have this PC show you video of someone "doing straight-arm internal". Or better yet, have the PC jump in and throw some pitches using his/her method. Film it. Bring it home and watch it. You'll probably understand why the lessons are $20. Or worse, you'll get a line like "oh I don't know how to pitch but I can teach pitching". If that happens RUN.

If you go to Hillhouse you'll have to have elbow bend for his elbow snap instruction. And with Java your gonna educated high level I/R instruction coupled with lower body drive mechanics for a complete package.

Jul 17, 2012
Go see Java!. I WISH he was only 2 hours away. I drive the 3.5 hours each way to see him. Been there 3 times, and each and every time my daughter and I leave smarter people.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
We go to Bill. We drive 4 hrs 1 way. Due to tournament conflicts, we only get to see him 5-7 times a year. My DD practices 3-4 times a week with me catching. We get way more out of 5-7 visits with Bill a year than many of the girls who go once a week to a $20 hr. pitching coach in our region. I do study pitching and am a big student of it so I feel like we can do it this way and still be successful. If you have no desire to fully understand what your trying to accomplish with mechanics and why, then you may want to go weekly to a cheaper coach. Bill makes it as simple as it can get. It's just a shame he is so serious with no sense of humor. ��

Jan 22, 2011
If I was less than an hour from Bill, I'd be taking my daughter weekly. If I was two hours from Javasource I'd be going at least once a month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi