Load and step timing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
At a practice last night, I heard a coach instructing some hitting cues that I disagree with, but thought I would double check.
One player asked if the negative move/load happens simultaneously with the step and coach said no, shift your weight back then step forward and swing.

I have always taught the load and step to be simultaneous, so I looked at some of the model swings on this site and it looks to me like the negative move and the step happen at the same time.

or is this not an absolute and subject to personal preference?

I couldn't hear everything she was saying but DD said that she was also advocating wrist roll into contact and full extension at contact. She played DI softball in college, so her resume is better than mine but then again, I don't agree with what Mark McGuire teaches either:)

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
I tend to agree with your understanding of the swing. A hitter wants to move out to the pitcher and keep loading until they unload the coil and stretch. I have my hitters get loaded initially (sitting into the back leg) and "ride the back leg" (continuing to load) as they coil forward. Part of that continued load is stretching the upper from the lower before unloading, which for us is turning and whipping the barrel into the ball.

To me, the trouble with the cue of load, step and swing, is that most kids will load the back leg, and then immediately unload the back leg into the front when they step forward. I don't even use the words "stride" or "step" anymore because of this. I use "coil forward" or "move out" or "ride the back leg" because I want them to focus on building that load as they move out to the pitcher.

Jun 18, 2010
Posted by Noontime on BBD

SB uses "Coil-Stretch-Separation"... I like "Coil-Load-Launch"... but in either case the thing to realize about "The Sequence" is that it isn't Coil THEN Load THEN Launch. They are not a sequence as in three discrete actions that start and stop before the next one happens. It starts with coiling and you never really stop coiling. As you are coiling you will begin loading sometime after you started coiling and you really never stop loading from that point on. So then you are still coiling and still loading and then you begin launching.. here is the best I can "draw" at the moment:

* = start of the sequence to time the ball... pitcher release

*Coiling->Coiling->Coiling-> | \
*---------Loading->Loading-> | }---- THE SEQUENCE
*----------------Launching-> | /

Read more here.

The bold above was a real learning moment for me.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
I like this definition of the sequence, as well. The only thing I think is effective for my hitters that varies slightly from SB's sequence is the idea of "weighting" the inside of the back leg slightly before they forward by coil. I think it helps them get the feel of how to move out to the pitcher better than without doing it. In other words, I think it helps them coil forward more efficiently. That's just how I do it.

I would recommend reading through the sequence stuff on BBD so you understand their verbiage. "Loading" has been typically defined as "negative move", and that's not how it's intended by the graphic above.

Jun 18, 2010
I like this definition of the sequence, as well. The only thing I think is effective for my hitters that varies slightly from SB's sequence is the idea of "weighting" the inside of the back leg slightly before they forward by coil. I think it helps them get the feel of how to move out to the pitcher better than without doing it. In other words, I think it helps them coil forward more efficiently. That's just how I do it.

I would recommend reading through the sequence stuff on BBD so you understand their verbiage. "Loading" has been typically defined as "negative move", and that's not how it's intended by the graphic above.

(more Noontime) Gathering as a negative move
And at the start he has a gathering as a negative move that is not part of his coiling:
Hami_08HRDerby_highrearback_gather.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I can't remember where I read it, but the cue I like to use is "walk away from your hands". It seems to explain the process in a way my players understand. I also agree with the OP concerning writs roll. I would not advocate that at contact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd